The Student Room Group

What is your Orchestra Playing?

What are you playing in your orchestra at the moment?
I'm doing:
Parry- I Was Glad (with vivats!)
Saint Saens- Organ Symphony
Handel- Concerto Grosso 1
Britten- Simple Symphony

Quite an eclectic mix methinks...
We've done I Was Glad haha it was ok-ish... We've just done La Gazza Ladra by Rossini and Dvorak New World and Tchaikovsky 1 a while ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alleykat606
We've done I Was Glad haha it was ok-ish... We've just done La Gazza Ladra by Rossini and Dvorak New World and Tchaikovsky 1 a while ago

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love I Was Glad, it's probably my favourite of the three, joint with Saint Saens.
We did Tchaikovsky 5 for our last concert, it was really good to play.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We did Shostakovich 5 a few months ago - favourite piece ever to play. At the moment we're just starting Dvorak 8, some of it is a little dull but the timpani part in the 4th mvt is pyor quality.

We're doing some other little ditties too, like Brahms Hungarian Dance #5 (we play it all the time), Nielsen's Aladdin Suite and Finlandia.
Reply 4
At the moment we're doing:

Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony
Overture to the Mastersingers of Nuremberg by Wagner
Sinfonische Metamorphosen by Hindemith
Introduction et Rondo Capriccioso by Saint-Saens

LOVE the Hindemith, really has character just have to try and get over all the accidentals and improve my tonguing :tongue:
Original post by Flauta
At the moment we're doing:

Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony
Overture to the Mastersingers of Nuremberg by Wagner
Sinfonische Metamorphosen by Hindemith
Introduction et Rondo Capriccioso by Saint-Saens

LOVE the Hindemith, really has character just have to try and get over all the accidentals and improve my tonguing :tongue:

I've played the Hindemith - unbelievable piece. One of my favourites, actually. I have the score with me because I lent it out from a library and I just endlessly read it some nights.
Reply 6
Original post by Blast Tyrant
I've played the Hindemith - unbelievable piece. One of my favourites, actually. I have the score with me because I lent it out from a library and I just endlessly read it some nights.

It's amazing, probably my favourite piece we've played this year along with Danse Macabre last term :smile: I get the added bonus of being the 2nd flautist so getting a couple of expressive bits and not having to do that absolute pig of a solo in the 3rd movement :tongue:
Original post by Flauta
It's amazing, probably my favourite piece we've played this year along with Danse Macabre last term :smile: I get the added bonus of being the 2nd flautist so getting a couple of expressive bits and not having to do that absolute pig of a solo in the 3rd movement :tongue:

It's a great passage, but I can understand that it must also be horrible to learn. The flute part at the start of the 2nd movement (basically the theme for the entire movement) is one of my favourite melodies from the entire work.
Reply 8
It's a great passage, but I can understand that it must also be horrible to learn. The flute part at the start of the 2nd movement (basically the theme for the entire movement) is one of my favourite melodies from the entire work.

Mmhm I like that movement, the woodwind sections from about T onwards are really fun! What instrument do you play?
Original post by Flauta
Mmhm I like that movement, the woodwind sections from about T onwards are really fun! What instrument do you play?

Percussionist - with my youth orchestra I usually do the timpani parts, but I was drafted in by the local philharmonic orchestra to do bass drum/side drum/triangle for the Hindemith.
Original post by Lord Harold
I love I Was Glad, it's probably my favourite of the three, joint with Saint Saens.
We did Tchaikovsky 5 for our last concert, it was really good to play.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We did Shostakovich 5 a few months ago - favourite piece ever to play. At the moment we're just starting Dvorak 8, some of it is a little dull but the timpani part in the 4th mvt is pyor quality.

We're doing some other little ditties too, like Brahms Hungarian Dance #5 (we play it all the time), Nielsen's Aladdin Suite and Finlandia.

I'm very jealous of both of you! I'd love to do the Shost and Tchaikovsky.... :rolleyes: I'm trying to suggest to our director to play Scriabin No. 2 - the final movement is just brilliant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFyKXS7mOFg
Original post by Alleykat606
I'm very jealous of both of you! I'd love to do the Shost and Tchaikovsky.... :rolleyes: I'm trying to suggest to our director to play Scriabin No. 2 - the final movement is just brilliant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFyKXS7mOFg

Yes, the Tchaikovsky was brilliant, I am also very jealous of the Shostakovich too! The Scriabin is quite something...
We've played Shostakovich No 5 movement 4 (studying in A2 music so that was interesting)! Some of us got to play the Four Seasons with Tasmin Little in a concert a few months ago! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest