krisshP
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  63.1 KB
C is the answer, but I don't get why. We want to minimise diffraction, so we want the wavelength of the electron to not match the wavelength of the atoms in the specimen, right? So by lambda = h/p=h/mv, we need the speed of the electrons to change. That leaves C and D as the options, but why not D?

THANKS
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by krisshP)
C is the answer, but I don't get why. We want to minimise diffraction, so we want the wavelength of the electron to not match the wavelength of the atoms in the specimen, right? So by lambda = h/p=h/mv, we need the speed of the electrons to change. That leaves C and D as the options, but why not D?

THANKS
Attach question please.
krisshP
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stonebridge)
Attach question please.
Done, sorry about that.
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The smaller the object you want to "see" with a microscope, the shorter must be the wavelength of the waves being used.
I think that's all this question is asking. You need faster electrons if you want to reduce their wavelength.
krisshP
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stonebridge)
The smaller the object you want to "see" with a microscope, the shorter must be the wavelength of the waves being used.
I think that's all this question is asking. You need faster electrons if you want to reduce their wavelength.
I don't get that bold part. Can you please explain it?

Thanks
Steroidsman123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by krisshP)
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  63.1 KB

THANKS

Think about this. If you have a wall with an open door in the middle, and one person either side of the door, one person can hear the other. Even if neither can see each other, the sound wave is diffracting so that each person can detect it. If however it was pitch black, and one person shone a laser through the open door, the laser light would not diffract so that the other person could see it by looking where the doorway would be. Why? Because the wavelength of the laser is too small. As it is smaller than that of the doorway, it is not being spread out, so the wave of laser light is not reaching the second person's eyes.

You use an electron microscope because you can achieve much lower wavelengths than you can with standard light microscopes. A high voltage is used to accelerate the electrons (so their velocity is high) and thus their diffraction will be less at a gap of given size.

In my door anaology, consider the laser the fast moving electrons, and the sound waves the slow moving ones. Slower = larger wavelength = more diffraction = lower resolution.
krisshP
Rep:
?
(Original post by Steroidsman123)
Nice analogy. Makes sense now.

THANKS +REP
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads