A -level in mother language ?

Watch this thread
obsessedstormer
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
So,my friend will be doing A-level in Polish with me and other people but as she decided to go year 10 ,although she should be in year 11 she didn't do GCSE before.
My question is : When applying to collage/sixth form or evn uni does it matter whether you have GCSE,A-level or both in an extra language-mother language?
shooks
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by obsessedstormer)
So,my friend will be doing A-level in Polish with me and other people but as she decided to go year 10 ,although she should be in year 11 she didn't do GCSE before.
My question is : When applying to collage/sixth form or evn uni does it matter whether you have GCSE,A-level or both in an extra language-mother language?
By 'does it matter' do you mean will it be a benefit? As you'll presumably A* it, it certainly won't do any harm!
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
It will depend on what you want to apply for and where but many universities will not credit an A level in a mother tongue language when making an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Safiya122
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I have a friend who did A-level Urdu and it was really beneficial for her because it was the one subject she didn't need to revise for as it's her first language. So if you have the chance to, just do it! It's an easy way of gaining UCAS points.
Jkizer
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Does it matter? There are no real negatives..... unless it for some reason takes a huge amount of your time.

Some uni's will just give their standard AAB offer. Others will state something like AAB in any of the following subjects: Maths, business, chemistry (basically they ignore your Polish A level since it will just be an easy A/A*)
thatitootoo
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jkizer)
Does it matter? There are no real negatives..... unless it for some reason takes a huge amount of your time.

Some uni's will just give their standard AAB offer. Others will state something like AAB in any of the following subjects: Maths, business, chemistry (basically they ignore your Polish A level since it will just be an easy A/A*)
There is nothing "easy" about the Polish A2 - you should see the spec. Those comparative literature essays, among other things, scared my friend out of taking the qualification! (she was fluent and had lived in Poland up to age 15) :eek:
German123
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by obsessedstormer)
To be honest i dont think it matters but it will look good on your profile.
obsessedstormer
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by shooks)
By 'does it matter' do you mean will it be a benefit? As you'll presumably A* it, it certainly won't do any harm!
Yeah, kind off. I'm just unsure about my friend cuz she did a Polish equivelant exam to GCSE but in Polish as the first language.
Sorry,if this doesn't make sense.
l1lvink
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Im Dutch originally, and i did a GCSE in Dutch (got an A*), but now that im doing AS levles, especially with the very science/maths related subjects that im doing, would it still be beneficial for me to do Dutch as an AS level? Id have to go over the grammar etc as although i am pretty much a fluent Dutch speaker, my writing skills are rather lacking; due to not having to write any Dutch.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.35%

Watched Threads