Fall of the Roman Republic (81-31 BC)

Watch
propagation
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey all,

I thought it would be nice to have a discussion about some of the factors you believe influenced the fall of the Republic during 81-31 BC. You can use info to back up your statements from beyond these dates e.g the Marian Military reforms...
Key to this discussion is going to also be the evidence for your statement e.g Written sources (Plutarch, Suetonius, Sallust, Appian, Cassius Dio, Cicero....etc.), Archaeology, Geography.....

This should be interesting seeing as the Roman republic is not talk about as much.

Also can we keep to the subject and not drift onto another subject-this can easily be done when discussing history XD .
djrp97
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sulla's reforms were destroyed, started in his own lifetime!
Pomey, and Crassus basically became king at least HIGHLY manipulated the senate.
propagation
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by djrp97)
Sulla's reforms were destroyed, started in his own lifetime!
Pomey, and Crassus basically became king at least HIGHLY manipulated the senate.
I feel that Sulla's reformation of the Senate was a contributor to the downfall of the Republic as it set this precedent that the Senate could be controlled by one person alone. The fact that Sulla weakened the tribunate to nothing was a fatal error as it created a pathway for his reforms to be turned against his intentions by populary, allowing the word of the people to be carried back into Politics. Furthermore this path is opened for Pompey who restores the tribunate.
Back up your second statement - "Pomey, and Crassus basically became king at least HIGHLY manipulated the senate"
djrp97
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by propagation)
I feel that Sulla's reformation of the Senate was a contributor to the downfall of the Republic as it set this precedent that the Senate could be controlled by one person alone. The fact that Sulla weakened the tribunate to nothing was a fatal error as it created a pathway for his reforms to be turned against his intentions by populary, allowing the word of the people to be carried back into Politics. Furthermore this path is opened for Pompey who restores the tribunate.
Back up your second statement - "Pomey, and Crassus basically became king at least HIGHLY manipulated the senate"
Fair enough. His reforms can be seen as strengthening the senate against the people and ambitions of an individual. In increasing the number of senators and offices he diluted the individual's influence. Through changes in the law courts and to the tribunate he raised the senate as a whole - limiting the tribunes discourage an important method for a populare's career.

If his reforms could have stood the test of time the republic may not have fallen, but as they were started to be undermined during Sulla's dictatorship - with the rise of Pompey, they were weak from the outset. In retrospect we can see that the weakness of his reforms weakened the senate as it enabled individuals to attack them and gain popular support.
Shaughney
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I feel that Sulla marching on Rome, and the problems during the time of Caesar, Pompey were a result of the weaknesses in the Republic's ability to govern an empire rather than causes of its fall. The system simply wasn't set up to govern an empire as large as the one that had grown. In addition the relative stability of the time, say compared to during the 2nd century BC with Carthage, Macedon, Secleucids, created no incentive for politicians to work together and instead allowed them to aim for the achievement of personal goals and auctoritas.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (24)
6%
Uncertainty around my education (45)
11.25%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (46)
11.5%
Lack of purpose or motivation (53)
13.25%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (20)
5%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (18)
4.5%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (41)
10.25%
Financial worries (27)
6.75%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (17)
4.25%
Exposure to negative news/social media (26)
6.5%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (11)
2.75%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (40)
10%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (32)
8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed