Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur
[b
)

7. Would you say that the ‘hijaab’ was a good/bad thing? (Explain)[/b]

No. It is degrading to women and makes them inferior to men. To have cover up yourself like that is an insult to be being human.

9. Would you not consider the covering of nuns, also a form of ‘hijaab’?

Probably, but it seems nuns wear a headscarf out of personal choice, whereas the majority of muslim women wear them through force.

10. Which of the following words would you most closely associate the word ‘hijaab’ with-

Oppressed, Hidden, Limited, Restricted
hey why do u say that?
i dont think thats the case at all...they only wear because they want to, and know the rewards of doing so, and therefore the harm in not!
kokopops
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Questionnaire

1. Are you-

FEMALE

2. State your ethnicity-

Indian

3. State your religion/belief-

hinduism

4. Define ‘liberation’

to be free and to make your own decisions

5. Would you say that ‘liberation’ is a good/bad thing? (Explain)

good! to me it means freedom. its a chance for somebody to become the person they want to be. to make their own choices and become their own person. to live their life the way they want it to be lived

6. Define ‘hijaab’
headscarf worn by muslim women

7. Would you say that the ‘hijaab’ was a good/bad thing? (Explain)
bad...definately! it degrades women.shows them as inferior to men. it covers women up as though they shouldnt be seen, almost as if women really are an inferior species

8. With what/who would you generally associate the ‘hijaab’ with?

muslims .. the religion islam

no

Please explain your answer-

nuns have chosen to take this path, theyve chosen to wear the veil and watever and have chosen to cover themselves up as part of their service to G-d, but women who wear the hijaab, it seems as though they are forced to do so

10. Which of the following words would you most closely associate the word ‘hijaab’ with-

Oppressed Hidden Limited Restricted
villarde
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by aurorascopic)
Questionnaire

1. Are you-

Male Female

2. State your ethnicity-

Asian Afro/Caribbean European White Other White

Other (please state)

Atheism Agnostic Christianity Judaism Islam

Hinduism Other (please state) Catholism

4. Define ‘liberation’

Freedom

Good

6. Define ‘hijaab’

Don't know what it is

Don't know

Don't know

Yes No

Don't know

Liberated Oppressed Protected Hidden

Limited Modest Restricted Treasured

Don't know

pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Questionnaire

1. Are you-

Male

2. State your ethnicity-

White

Agnostic

4. Define ‘liberation’

I would tend toward the view that we cannot just define 'liberation' as a term compeltly out of context because the act of 'liberation' seems to entail an action to go with it.
However, liberation would be to remove all constraits that are placed on our personal freedom (this being removal of all 'duties' toward the state/government). By this I mean that we would have complete freedom and automoy - our choices would not be constrained etc..as with blissy's Rousseou quotation in her signature 'man is born free and everywhere he is in chains' liberation would be removing the general will in pursuit of advancement (the 'chains') and keeping us in our state of born freedom....

Liberation...depends on the consequences of it, obviously the transition period would result in problems but would society be able to function? That quesiton is up for debate...I would tend toward the belief that human nature would end up in it not being possible and we would result back in the same system we are now. So, I think that although in theory it is a good thing, in practice it would have bad consequences.

6. Define ‘hijaab’

Muslim headscarf thing

It is neither, if people wish to wear it and follow their religious belief then fair enough. If they don't they should not wear it. The problem arises when we come to the issue of people being forced into wearing it although they may disagree with it - religious views/clothing etc. should in no way be forced on people - religion is a choice. It seems that alot of 'hijaab' wearing is due to people being indoctrinated into a religion...again in principle we cannot associate moral language of 'good' and 'bad' with the wearing of clothing we can only associate these words with the conditions it is worn under - which tend to be oppressive.

Women/Islam etc.

Yes

They are both headscarfs except for name..I think..

Limited

Sorry for rambling and probably some incoherant views!
deary_ma_leary
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
1. Female

2. White

3. Other - nothing (not an aetheist)

4. context changes it. if a country is liberated, i'd define it as an oppressing power being removed. To feel liberated would be to feel carefree, a weight lifted from your shoulders perhaps

5. a good thing in most cases. in a country being liberated, it needs to be done with care for the liberated country and how things happen from then on

6. Sorry-i don't know what it is

7. ''

8. ''

9. ''

10. ''

sorry my last answers couldnt be answered as i don't know what a hijaab is. perhaps you should have done this as a pilot questiopnnaire and developed it incorporating a brief explanation of what it is.

if people don't know what a hijaab is, many will feel they won't bother answering to your post as it'd mean they can only answer a few questions. im sure my response doesnt really help but if you want to modify the questionnaire and ask nicely, i will try again
aurorascopic
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
wow *eyes light up* thank you ever so much to everyone who's answered so far..a couple more won't hurt (hint to those who havent yet answered)

there were a few disappointments i.e villarde ahem..altho, 'tis okies, it's still one more questionnaire filled in. oh and there were some brill answers too, even tho i may not have agreed, but brilliant all the same *thumbs up* @ corey.

oh and, deary me leary ( at your username lol) noo problem...i've still used yours...it's something i can put in my analysis of the questionnaire

thank's once again people... *thumbs up* to all!!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (255)
48.39%
No (59)
11.2%
I'm not old enough (213)
40.42%

Watched Threads