The Student Room Group
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London

Accommodation outside of halls 2014-2015 (postgrad)

So i'm starting my primary PGCE in September. I do not like the idea of going into halls again.
Just wondering what is the best way to sort out who to live with and where? Obviously there is sparerooms.com etc, but wondered if there was somewhere to talk to others starting a postgrad course?
In my mind the ideal would be to live in a flat/house with other postgrads.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Laurene92
So i'm starting my primary PGCE in September. I do not like the idea of going into halls again.
Just wondering what is the best way to sort out who to live with and where? Obviously there is sparerooms.com etc, but wondered if there was somewhere to talk to others starting a postgrad course?
In my mind the ideal would be to live in a flat/house with other postgrads.

Hey, I am looking for a flat share. I am starting MSc Data Science Program this Sep.

Let me know if you are interested.
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London
I will also be looking for a room in a preferably postgrad house! I'm starting my MA in contemporary art theory, and would ideally want to live in new cross/as close to campus as possible. Let me know if you need a housemate! :smile:
Reply 3
Same here, doing an MA in Social Research and searching for a place near Campus after the not really attractive offer Goldsmiths made me (Mansion view, too far away & too expensive). So let me know, if you look for someone to share a flat with
Hi! Same here! Glad to see more postgrads weren't keen on the Goldsmiths' offer to live in halls. In september I start the MA in Art and Politics. I am also looking for someone to share a flat with, in New Cross or some where near! Are you still looking?
I am also in need of a room. Im starting my MA in Design Critical Practice this september. Any spare rooms going please feel free to give me an email :smile:
Reply 6
Hi people! I am an Irish girl starting the MA in Comparative Literary Studies in September and would be keen to live with other postgrads too! I'd like to live somewhere in close proximity to the uni itself. If anyone has a room going, drop me an email!
Reply 7
Hey guys, obviously I am not the only foreign student searching for a place to stay around Goldsmiths. I'm asking myself about the best strategy to find a decent flat. How are your plans, especially those who also come from abroad; do you plan come to London and search for a flat to move in immediately? So far I've looked at http://student.spareroom.co.uk/, most of the flats listed there seem to be available the date they've put onto the site, but I hardly find a flat that's listed now, but available in September. Would be really nice if you could share your thoughts on this issue
Reply 8
Hi all,

This appears to be an excellent forum. Correct me if I am wrong, we all are looking to find a nice place to live starting this Sep.

If we all join forces, I am sure we can find a great deal. So far, we have (6) people i.e. mirandajej, andreas87, michelle-m, joesmyth93, nkelly165 and me (as far as what I read above).

I propose if we all could gather and speak live on phone at a time that suits all time-zones (preferably this Saturday) and decide on the next steps.

I have a spare conference bridge, that I can use. I can share a toll-free number for your country such that you are not charged international rates.

Let me know, what you think.

Aayan
Hi!

Yes, you are right! I have one other person with whom I am looking, so I guess we're with 7 (if still everyone from this post is looking).

Would Sunday also be okay? I am not free this Saturday. Calling sounds good! Or otherwise Skype.

I am in :smile:

Cheers,
Michelle
Sunday would be nice for me too. I'd opt for video calling, as I m kinda curious to see some potential roommates in person. There seem to be a few options for that, e.g. skype, google hangouts, apple facetime. But if Sykpe is the most accessable for everyone that would be fine for me. But I m also open for a traditional conference call, although I don't have any expirience with this. But shouldn't be too complicated either

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I am good with Skype. Does Sunday @ 1 PM GMT sounds good to everyone?

Aayan
1 MP GMT is good for me. I'd wait until Saturday afternoon and then send my Skype name via PM to the people in this discussion who express their interest in participating in the Skype call and in the discussion (so far micelle-m and Ayan1)

Cheers,
Andreas
1 PM GMT is good for me as well. Good idea to send your Skype name sat.eve!

Will contact the other girl, Kate, about whom I have told before too.

Cheers,
Michelle
Reply 14
Andreas, Michelle, Kate and Me have planned a joint conversation, this Sunday @ 1 PM GMT to get to know each other via skype and decide on the next steps on our journey at Goldsmiths.

On behalf of the existing participants, I welcome anyone else who'd like to be a part of this discussion (in case you didnt get a chance to see these messages earlier).

Just post a note on this page stating you are interested and we'll add you in.

I just feel, the more people we have, the better our journey will be at Goldsmiths given we'd all be away from our family for one full year and ofcourse, your involvement will contribute to finding a place that is inexpensive and cozy

Cheers !!
Aayan
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi guys, I won't be around on Sunday for Skype sadly. I've also ended up receiving an unexpected offer from Manchester so I need to make some decisions over the next few days! I'll be in touch though if I do decide to go to Goldsmiths!
Hey guys, I also won't be able to Skype on Sunday (currently in the countryside and the internet is terrible!)
However I'm still interested in being involved in any potential flat share so please keep me posted on what happens :smile:
Reply 17
Hi there, I'm the Kate! (: I'm good for the 1pm Skype chat. Send me the Skype name (:

I'm not sure if I have Skype conference chat though... I've never used it. Is it a free feature on Skype?
Hey guys! Just checking in to see how the Skype chat went or if there are any updates?
Hey guys, I'm just finishing my MA in Digital Entrepreneurship at Goldsmiths and I'm moving out of my house in New Cross at the end of August. It's a nice sized room with double bed in a great house, literally 5 minute walk away from Goldsmiths! I share with 3 great guys, one studied history, one is an actor and one a graphic designer. The rent is £490 a month.

Quick Reply