The Student Room Group

Anti-social behaviour

I should go into business as a psychic, because as soon as I heard the message from the government; 'people should sort the anti-social problem out themselves' I said this would happen. Someone actually did what the government suggested, tried sorting it out, and whaddya know, THEY were the ones arrested.

After months of being taunted by a gang of yobs, grandmother Diane Bond finally stood up to them when she was abused while walking her pet dog. During a torrent of foul-mouthed abuse, the frail 64-year-old prodded the teenager ringleader gently in the stomach when he urged her to "Hit me, if you dare".

Moments later, the 5ft 1ins pensioner found herself flat on her back and nursing a broken arm after the 15-year-old boy, who was 7 inches taller, pushed her to the ground. But to add insult to injury, police officers arrested her for assaulting a child after his mother moaned he had been attacked.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=399145&in_page_id=1770

So, now we know we can't depend on the police farce or the government to deal with the problem, and that we can't deal with it ourselves (as the gov advise!) for fear of being arrested, what is there left that can be done about anti-social behaviour?
FFS I hate this sh*t. Argh it makes me so angry.

We can either let the people in charge know how much this sucks or go on a murdering rampage. :eek2:
Reply 2
oh god...the daily mail.
Reply 3
It seems (and is) stupid but I mean, she did break the law. I'm sure it wouldn't come to anything given the circumstances but it was nontheless a crime to hit the kid.

And when the government advised tackling anti-social behaviour I don't think they meant literally fighting back. More like reporting trouble-makers etc.
Reply 4
Laika
It seems (and is) stupid but I mean, she did break the law. I'm sure it wouldn't come to anything given the circumstances but it was nontheless a crime to hit the kid.

And when the government advised tackling anti-social behaviour I don't think they meant literally fighting back. More like reporting trouble-makers etc.

similarly it was a crime for the kid to use too much force in "self-defence". Also, he asked for it and she was provoked...
residents said they had suffered an "endless stream" of damage to property and cars, intimidation, vandalism, noise and rubbish being hurled into gardens by up to 30 youths aged 11 to 17

"I gave him three prods, almost like playful punches, not hard at all, and next thing I knew I was lying on the ground and I had broken my arm. One youth said I had been pushed.

I don't think she deserved to be arrested.
It's slightly worrying how the law does seem to come down too much on the side of criminals. It seems to me that, if someone's not willing to abide by the law themselves, why should they be protected by it? By commiting crimes as consistently as in this case, the youths are making it pretty clear that they don't care at all about the justice system, so what reason is there for the justice system to care about them?
Reply 7
Chumbaniya
It's slightly worrying how the law does seem to come down too much on the side of criminals. It seems to me that, if someone's not willing to abide by the law themselves, why should they be protected by it? By commiting crimes as consistently as in this case, the youths are making it pretty clear that they don't care at all about the justice system, so what reason is there for the justice system to care about them?

I second that. I think the government wants us to accept (or to use their terms, respect) that there are criminals around, and ASBO deserving pests, and to leave them to it. They seem to be more afraid of civilians overeacting than criminals breaking the law, perhaps because the innocents are easier to arrest and convict because they tend to come in peacefully and admit to whatever they have done on the grounds they believe the government protects innocents
Reply 8
Thud
oh god...the daily mail.

Yes, who cares about the old lady and our right to defend ourselves, its the daily mail! Automatically disqualified...seriously Thud, is that all you have to say?

This is by the by these days, standing up to thugs is 'child abuse', hitting a burglar is 'GBH', murdering someone is 'caused by your poor economic background and sad childhood...there there, have a lollipop!'

You have serial child molesters getting less that 6yrs in prison...
Reply 9
tehjonny
Yes, who cares about the old lady and our right to defend ourselves, its the daily mail! Automatically disqualified...seriously Thud, is that all you have to say?

if you look I actually made two posts.

But yes "oh god the daily mail" - the story has probably been skewed in some way in order to make it "news"paper worthy.I'm surprised that they didn't report a bunch of eastern European immigrants cheering the young lad on and then jumping on the old woman once she was on the ground.

:rolleyes:
Reply 10
Until we can address the root causes of anti-social behaviour and eradicate it, we need to deal with the effects of that behaviour.

Here, on the sunny south-east coast of Kent we have grave problems with louts hanging around amusement aracades who abuse passers-by, break equipment and generally cause mayhem.

When they are confronted by the arcade owners or members of the public they mock them and say "what are you going to do about it?".

Although there are security/policing systems supposedly in place, whenever the owners attempt to get their support, they are invariably told there is no one available to deal with it!!

Now either the owners deal with it themselves and risk charges of assault by the little darlings (in which case the police will appear on the scene pretty damned quickly :rolleyes: ) or the louts be allowed to collapse any sort of social order.

If the breakdown of order is not dealt with immediately, I fear we will see a society of vigilante retribution arise as a result.
Reply 11
Thud
if you look I actually made two posts.

But yes "oh god the daily mail" - the story has probably been skewed in some way in order to make it "news"paper worthy.I'm surprised that they didn't report a bunch of eastern European immigrants cheering the young lad on and then jumping on the old woman once she was on the ground.

Hhahaaha. But they did, just underneith 'Eastern Europeans ate my mother...'s grapefruits'.

Yeah I missed the second post. But seriously the Daily Mail isn't that bad, most of what they report is easily corrobated.

To be honest though, this sounds very true given the Police these days. Don't arrest the yob intimidating the locals, arrest the old granny who prodded him...even though he pushed her on the floor...funny that.

You know, for a commie you have alot of faith in the justice system :p:
Reply 12
yawn
Until we can address the root causes of anti-social behaviour and eradicate it, we need to deal with the effects of that behaviour.

Here, on the sunny south-east coast of Kent we have grave problems with louts hanging around amusement aracades who abuse passers-by, break equipment and generally cause mayhem.

When they are confronted by the arcade owners or members of the public they mock them and say "what are you going to do about it?".

Although there are security/policing systems supposedly in place, whenever the owners attempt to get their support, they are invariably told there is no one available to deal with it!!

Now either the owners deal with it themselves and risk charges of assault by the little darlings (in which case the police will appear on the scene pretty damned quickly :rolleyes: ) or the louts be allowed to collapse any sort of social order.

If the breakdown of order is not dealt with immediately, I fear we will see a society of vigilante retribution arise as a result.

I'd welcome vigilantes. It'd make the police realise the levels of contempt the population have for them, and the chav world would also receive a beating. Everyone wins surely? :p:
Reply 13
"You searched for eastern europeans
We have found about 1085 articles on the Mail online."

I have absolutely no faith in the justice system. I didn't say they were right to arrest the old woman, in fact I thought my second post implied that she will be let off because of being provoked and the kid using excessive force.
Reply 14
Thud
"You searched for eastern europeans
We have found about 1085 articles on the Mail online."

I have absolutely no faith in the justice system. I didn't say they were right to arrest the old woman, in fact I thought my second post implied that she will be let off because of being provoked and the kid using excessive force.

Yeah, he broke her arm. Surely he should be the one in court...

Don't assume thats 1085 negative articles though, I've seen a few in the Daily Mail praising poles in particular.

And to be honest, they do have the right to report on a group of people arriving by the half million yearly, its not exactly a small thing is it?
Reply 15
Thud
possible yes, for excessive force. I doubt anything will come of this anyway - the woman's got her cheque from the Daily Scum whilst the boy has his moment of fame; they're happy.

course they have a right. What they do not have a right to do is act like the bnp does to non-whites, nor to say, at every possible opportunity, "believed to be of eastern european origin" - "believed to be"?! wtf? The guy's black!!! Nor should they be manipulating figures to make things seem far worse than they are nor leaving out bits of information which contradict their "evidence". I hate the daily mail, I should launch a vendetta against them.....

No not possible, should be for assault, breaking an old ladies arm is a bit more than 'excessive force', and its not even self-defence, shes an old lady...

They usually say 'believed to be this, believed to be that' when reporting on crime...its not anything new or sinister. You think the guardian doesn't manipulate figures?
Three options:

1. (Personal favourite, slightly unrealistic) Make chav-hunting a national sport. Not only will this reduce crime by around 99.9%, it will also make us world champions in a sport for about the first time ever.
2. Vote in a government which isn't so PC. Before I would have said Tories; now I'm not so sure.
3. Improve standards of education from a young age about tenfold, and really focus not only on getting people interested but also getting people involved in 'extracurricular activities' so as to keep them busy and occupied.
Reply 17
tehjonny
No not possible, should be for assault, breaking an old ladies arm is a bit more than 'excessive force', and its not even self-defence, shes an old lady...

They usually say 'believed to be this, believed to be that' when reporting on crime...its not anything new or sinister. You think the guardian doesn't manipulate figures?

well yes, it seems absurd but she did "hit" him first, and, given the law in this country (which I disagree with entirely but that's a different point) she has broken it. His retaliation was excessive and so, like with Tony Marten, he should possibly get arrested too. I've already said though I doubt anything will come of this.

certainly not to the same extent.
Chumbaniya

Agreed.
The Ace is Back
Three options:

1. (Personal favourite, slightly unrealistic) Make chav-hunting a national sport. Not only will this reduce crime by around 99.9%, it will also make us world champions in a sport for about the first time ever.
2. Vote in a government which isn't so PC. Before I would have said Tories; now I'm not so sure.
3. Improve standards of education from a young age about tenfold, and really focus not only on getting people interested but also getting people involved in 'extracurricular activities' so as to keep them busy and occupied.

No its not so unrealistic. I could just imagine a bill being passed by the government to make this as law.

Latest

Trending

Trending