What should I study as my third language? Watch

FrazzleP
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I've got a slight problem in terms of deciding on my course for Uni which I thought I'd ask about. In September I am starting a BA Modern Languages degree at the University of Southampton. The course allows me to continue on both of my A level languages (French and Spanish) as well as starting a new one from scratch which can be any of Italian, German, Russian, Portuguese, Arabic, Chines or Japanese. I'm not sure which third language to choose and I'm not sure which would be best to go for. Of those on the list, I'm mainly thinking of either Chinese, Portuguese or Arabic. Can anyone who studies these languages or studies them with a combination of French/Spanish please shed some light on the situation and on what you think? Would really appreciate it
samtheman96
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do Russian and Greek. I really enjoy Russian, mainly becuase I enjoy learning about Russia's dark history at the same time. Italian is also a really nice language to learn and quite easy to pick up. Arabic is supposed to be really hard to learn
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Chinese/Arabic.

They're totally different and require a whole different outlook, plus they're useful business languages and very impressive.

Though whichever you enjoy would be best, you're gonna have to learn a whole character system for Chinese, or a new alphabet and grammar system for Arabic.

However, I don't study languages, heck, I'm not even at university so my advice isn't from someone who's experienced it!
samtheman96
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
One thing I can say about doing Russian is that it is a great conversation starter.
smileyx123x
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Chinese or Arabic !!
super_kawaii
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AlphaNick)
Chinese. It may appear daunting, but speaking it is extremely easy - virtually all verbs are regular. Just memorising characters for writing is the only tricky bit.
I'd agree with this, even though I may be biased as I study Chinese at uni.

Verbs don't even conjugate in Chinese! Much easier than European languages. It's just the characters and grammar which are a bit counterintuitive for an English speaker. It's definitely and interesting language to learn and I'd definitely recommend it!
gagaslilmonsteruk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
German is an uphill struggle. Easy to begin with but soon gets hard. I did it for 5 years from Years 9-13, so for you the beginners cause will zap through it much faster.

French on the other hand, good choice (Mainly because it's one of my JH subjects )
jm925
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by samtheman96)
One thing I can say about doing Russian is that it is a great conversation starter.
Agreed!
samtheman96
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
:russia:
(Original post by jm925)
Agreed!
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Keep away from Japanese, you won't be learning anything else for a while otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
chriscahill9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Out of all the options, Portuguese would be easiest as it's very similar to Spanish (I know as I've been studying in Spain for the past 7 months, and am now pretty much fluent). It would therefore mean you would have to do far less work than otherwise.

Second to Portuguese, Italian would be easiest as a lot of the words are very similar to Spanish. If you studied either of those two, it would be far less of an uphill struggle than otherwise.
Squaresquirrel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just one point I'd like to raise: As people have stated Chinese grammar is very simple however the phonetics are very hard - Don't expect to have good pronunciation without spending a decent amount of time in China . . .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.04%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (68)
9.88%
No I am happy with my course choice (392)
56.98%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (97)
14.1%

Watched Threads