Self diagnosis? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I was wondering, is it possible to "self diagnose" yourself? I've been thinking about this issue for a while because there are many times when I feel like I have the symptoms for certain mental health issues but the only person I've ever told my problems to is my best friend - but even she doesn't know the full story.

I have a real issue about telling people about me feelings so I always bottle them up inside me, so I guess no one could help me because I damage myself secretly.

i always feel stupid thinking about self diagnosis because it's like your feeling sorry for yourself and you're trying to find an excuse for your behavioural issues so I convince myself that I'm fine and everything is okay... even if it might not be.

I don't really want anyone else knowing about what I go through because I don't want to lose the friends I love since I have the constant paranoia that if I tell them they will either:

a) not take me seriously and make fun of me
OR
b) look at me differently and be cautious of me and just distant themselves from me

this isn't because they've done this before, because they're such lovely people; it's just me thinking this way.

I know I haven't really explained these "symptoms" I've mentioned and what has happened in my life, but I just feel a little uncomfortable voicing my feelings, even if on anon. I guess if you ask, I'll have more a reason to say them if it helps you understand my thoughts.

I'm not asking for any criticism like: "Oh, stop going on with yourself, you're making a big problem out of nothing, if you were really that bad then you would've got the help you needed." I don't need to sift through crap comments like that, it does nothing to help to help my situation.

What I am asking for is: has anyone else self diagnosed themselves? And were you correct? Also, is there something I should do about my situation? I guess you'd need more info about my actual situation to answer the latter question and if so, just let me know and I'll think about telling anyone.

Apologies for another long post, I don't expect anyone to get to the end of this, but cheers to anyone who does
A future Midwife
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think you can ever really diagnose yourself - I guess with things like anxiety and depression you kind of know if you've got it, but anything other than that and you need a proper diagnosis because they're more difficult to recognise in yourself

Posted from TSR Mobile
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
mental health diagnoses are a little useless, they've basically just smushed some symptoms together into different categories when in actuality people tend to display symptoms from several different 'illnesses' and often don't neatly fit into a box, if there are things in your life/mind that you want to change (e.g. I want to be less nervous, I want to be less obsessive, I want to be better at handling my anger etc) then focus on that rather than trying to work out whether you're depressed or have an anxiety disorder, and if you feel you need more help than ask your doctor for more help on the basis of your experiences
Anonymous #2
Report 5 years ago
You can't do it by just reading a list of symptoms online.

If you have an academic knowledge of mental health disorders it's possible but you're still susceptible to bias and it's still a good idea to run it past a therapist or someone else in the know.
Copycats&Acrobats
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It isnt possible to self diagnose yourself. If you're depressed ect then your perception is altered and so you arent the best judge, and unless you are a doctor you arent qualified to self diagnose.
But if it makes you feel any better, feel free to PM me about your issues (I dont know you, I wont judge, i've got enough problems myself lol) and I'll try and give you some advice? Remember that if it affects you it isnt stupid.
Whats the worst that can happen?

Plus, if I think its something that you'd benefit talking to a doctor about, if you're over the age of 16 they have to keep patient confidentiality. They cant tell anyone.

(Original post by Anonymous)
I was wondering, is it possible to "self diagnose" yourself? I've been thinking about this issue for a while because there are many times when I feel like I have the symptoms for certain mental health issues but the only person I've ever told my problems to is my best friend - but even she doesn't know the full story.

I have a real issue about telling people about me feelings so I always bottle them up inside me, so I guess no one could help me because I damage myself secretly.

i always feel stupid thinking about self diagnosis because it's like your feeling sorry for yourself and you're trying to find an excuse for your behavioural issues so I convince myself that I'm fine and everything is okay... even if it might not be.

I don't really want anyone else knowing about what I go through because I don't want to lose the friends I love since I have the constant paranoia that if I tell them they will either:

a) not take me seriously and make fun of me
OR
b) look at me differently and be cautious of me and just distant themselves from me

this isn't because they've done this before, because they're such lovely people; it's just me thinking this way.

I know I haven't really explained these "symptoms" I've mentioned and what has happened in my life, but I just feel a little uncomfortable voicing my feelings, even if on anon. I guess if you ask, I'll have more a reason to say them if it helps you understand my thoughts.

I'm not asking for any criticism like: "Oh, stop going on with yourself, you're making a big problem out of nothing, if you were really that bad then you would've got the help you needed." I don't need to sift through crap comments like that, it does nothing to help to help my situation.

What I am asking for is: has anyone else self diagnosed themselves? And were you correct? Also, is there something I should do about my situation? I guess you'd need more info about my actual situation to answer the latter question and if so, just let me know and I'll think about telling anyone.

Apologies for another long post, I don't expect anyone to get to the end of this, but cheers to anyone who does
username457532
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it's useful to have an idea of what you think you have and what symptoms you have (it can help you say 'hey, wait, THAT's not normal') because then when you go see your GP you can say what you feel, do etc and that you think you might have this. But self-diagnosis is harmful because we all kinda have a tendency to see the worst and make things out to be bigger than they are. So go see your GP if you're worried - they can either diagnose you themselves or send you to see someone who can.
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did, both self diagnosis and self medication. - I'm a wreck now.
However, most GPs are useless, see a doctor privately if you can afford it.
Watch Key Phone
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Self-diagnosis is valid a lot of the time for psychological things. Conditions like depression and anxiety are pretty much diagnosed by the doctor reading you a list of symptoms and asking whether you have them: they are completely subjective because of the nature of the illness. So it's perfectly possible for you to consider the symptoms yourself and conclude that you experience enough of them to be classified as having a disorder like depression.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks for all the advice, it's really helpful and it's made me rethink my issues a little better and thanks for not being so judgemental too, I appreciate that loads
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
18.82%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
10.06%
No I am happy with my course choice (397)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (98)
14.08%

Watched Threads