The Student Room Group

Universities to be Considered

Hi,

Lisa has decided she does not want to be in Scotland, Edinburgh or Glasgow and with her achieving all six unis, she had to let them go with insurance and firm and enter clearing. I am a little worried although UCAS assures her that with achieving all those she will have loads more to phone after 17th and then decide again with loads of offers. I hope so, as she let her unis is US go planning to the UK. She is studying Psychology and found some smaller unis with nice towns and in reasonable commute to London as she wants to be in England. Does anyone have any recommendations? She does have a small list started but the process does not start until two weeks from now. She likes U of Winchester (King Alfred's Winchester, 1840), U of Gloucestershire, Royal Holloway and another in London, City U. Please let us know if any information and thank you.

Lisa's Mum:confused: :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
University really is a personal choice. What one person may find wonderful may be another person's hell. You need to weigh up all the pros and cons, do as much research as possible.
Also, I was under the impression that if you confirmed your firm and insurance choices you had to go with those and were not able to enter clearing.
It must be very difficult having never had a chance to view any of the universities either, however most have fairly good websites which will give you lots of useful information.
Reply 2
:rofl:

Lisa's mum!!!

HAHAHA!

Seriously; let "Lisa" decide for herself, she doesn't need you interfering. You're not the one going to uni, she is, lay off.

or maybe tRoll?
Best thing to do is order some prospectuses online and then have a look through them together, but at the end of the day, it is her choice.
Reply 4
Yeah. Im not really sure exactly what your after.
- Which uni you want to go to is a very personal choice really.
- I dont know what to surgest really. Obvously best would be to go to 5/6 uni's and see what you think of them "in the flesh" so to speak. But i can see that thats unlikly to happen from California!
- I picked loughbrough because i really liked the feel of the place, and the atitude of the staff. As well as its great reputation as an engineering university, the positive comments about lufbra post-grad from people i know who work in engeineering circles, and the heavy infosis on it being a practical-based course.

Loughboroughs a nice part of the country to be in.
- Although my second choice, nottingham, is very simluarly located!
- Both about 2hours drive from where we live (cheshire) which is what i was after.

Daniel
Reply 5
Psychology is usually quite over subscribed Ive been told, and so the universities in clearing are not going to be as good in terms of reputation or teaching (i suppose) as those she applied to the first time round.

If she's ok with that then clearing will be fine for her, she'll find somewhere she likes...

However, if she wants to go to a well reputed university, chances are, clearing isnt for her, as most of the better unis have already filled their places without needing to advertise in clearing. In this instance I'd sugest she take a gap year and reapply after doing some more thinking about it, as she obviously ddnt do enough research or thinking when she first applied to all the scottish unis.
Reply 6
Applying for 2007 and taking a gap year sounds best due to the limited choices in clearing plus it would give more time to think about uni and location. Such a decision shouldn't be rushed. But if she can decide soon then clearing is still an option. Like others have said, look at prospectuses online and uni websites. If she was able to get into Edinburgh uni then she will have a very wide choice and some of the ones you mentioned are not the best.
It's probably best for her to order some prospectus' online. As someone else said, someone's idea of heaven could be another person's hell. I wouldn't go by how renowned the specific university is, as that does not depict what the teaching is going to be like.
Reply 8
Lisa's Mum

She is studying Psychology and found some smaller unis with nice towns and in reasonable commute to London as she wants to be in England. Does anyone have any recommendations? She does have a small list started but the process does not start until two weeks from now. She likes U of Winchester (King Alfred's Winchester, 1840), U of Gloucestershire, Royal Holloway and another in London, City U.

Well, out of the universities you've listed, Royal Holloway is by the far the best academically speaking, both overall and for Psychology. But I'd recommend that Lisa does some research into what the Psychology courses are actually like at each place, otherwise she could end up somewhere studying a course she doesn't really enjoy. Also, there are other things to take into consideration too.
Reply 9
The universities that you have mentioned vary hugely in their ranking and reputation. If you are going to be paying international fees then you really need to consider what you are paying for. Edinburgh and Royal Holloway are highly rated and respected universities but the others are not in the same league at all.

Universities in the UK vary enormously. They are broadly ranked by the grade offers they make. Here this is done by A level grades or UCAS tariff points. The top universities like Oxford and Cambridge usually ask for 3 A grades at A level (=360 points) (or possibly more for psychology) and as you go down the list so the grade offers get lower. An average university may be asking around 280 points but if you go much below around 300 (though I'm not exactly sure of the exact level for psychology) then IMO it wouldn't be worth the fees that you will have to pay as an international student. For those sort of fees you want to make sure that you are getting a well respected degree. Check the grade offers in their online prospectuses. Distance from London is not a particularly good method of choosing a university.

Your main problem is that psychology is a very popular and oversubscribed subject. There will probably not be a lot on offer through clearing and you would be lucky to find any of the good universities still having places available. However, you may be lucky. If you have already rejected the places so far, you would have a better chance of getting a good university by waiting a year.

General List of Universities

You really need to look at the subject list for psychology. Once youv'e assessed the level that you are looking for, then you can narrow down your choices by other factors.

Have you looked at the psychology forum on TSR as this will give you some very useful info about the best places to study it.

Also see link
Reply 10
I echo what Hannah's said above - if you're paying international fees, and from what you've said before Lisa's got good grades, you want to go to a top university. Edinburgh is, but it's easy to understand as she wanted to be near London. However Winchester and Gloucester are not particularly regarded universities (ie. not in the top 20 or so) and City is almost entirely a business university, without much reputation for anything else. Royal Holloway is a good university, well respected and part of the University of London (who grant their degrees). However I'd *strongly* suggest having a long look at the league tables, both overall and for psychology, as well as prospectuses. As has been said, the easiest way to see the quality of a course is look at the entry statistics - what grades do you need to get there. For psychology, all the top places will ask for ABB at least, and most AAB or AAA. If she has those grades, she'll probably be selling herself short to go to somewhere that asks for much less.

If she really wants to be in London, have a look at UCL and Royal Holloway, or if being relatively close is ok look at Oxbridge, Warwick, Birmingham, Bristol, Bath, etc. There are lots of good universities within an hour or two of London.
Reply 11
Hi students,

Lisa wants to be closer proximity to London and just missed a point on the Phsycis exam needed for Edinburgh and Glasgow offered deferred entry as she has nearly a 4.0 but their IB exams of her entire class, aside from one student, of nearly 400, no one would have made conditional offer!

So, she is fine with it wanting to stay in England and with clearing process two weeks away she is uncertain of the wait. She has been offered a place at U of Winchester of which looks like a nice town and a much smaller and safer place, a train ride to London, close to the sea. She most likely will be offered a place at U of Gloucestershire, U of London as expressed interest but most are not open until nearer the 17th. She is happy with Winchester and location for her undergraduate and not sure if it is wise to wait for clearing process and tempt fate. They are all smaller campuses but offer more of what she is looking for.

Thanks!:2012:
Reply 12
Reply 13
I wish this person would
1) listen to what people on here say to her rather than repeat the same questions over and over again
2) do some research as despite all the research she has apparently done she doesn't seem to have a clue about the UK or the universities in it
3) stop scaring me.

I apologise if anyone thinks I'm being rude.
Reply 14
LauraDanielle
I hope for your "daughter's" sake this is some stupid joke, though I doubt someone would make that much effort
Lisa's mum has got it going on
She's all I want and I've waited for so long
Lisa, can't you see - you're just not the girl for me
I know it might be wrong, but I'm in love with Lisa's mum

:rolleyes:
Reply 16
Don't you understand what we've been trying to say. Just because a university is in a nice old town it doesn't make it a good university. Almost all the towns in UK are old and interesting. If you want to waste your money on third rate institutions you can, but in my opinion it would be sheer madness to come all the way from California and pay out thousands of pounds for what amounts to not much more than a local college. It is crazy in the extreme. If you want to do that, why not go to a local college where you live?

By the way, for your information, Winchester is not near London or the sea. Neither is Gloucester for that matter. No one would choose Winchester to be near the sea or London. If you want both of those then Sussex or Brighton would be much better choices as Brighton it is actually on the coast with fast trains to London.

If you are looking for a pleasant attractive campus, safe friendly environment and a train ride from London, then Royal Holloway would be a good choice.
Reply 17
Its going to be a waste of $60,000 or so to send her to a university you have suggested and that's only the tutition fees.

City and Royal Holloway(top20) would be the only ones worth going to the rest are quite honestly, crap.
:ditto:
From an international standpoint...
Ron Stoppable
Lisa's mum has got it going on
She's all I want and I've waited for so long
Lisa, can't you see - you're just not the girl for me
I know it might be wrong, but I'm in love with Lisa's mum

:rolleyes:

legend! :biggrin::cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending