This discussion is closed.
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
For some unknown reason my computer keeps randomly turning itself off, it tends to happen late at night(after 11) and Ive got no idea why. Anyone?
makesomenoise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You don't have some auto shut down thing on your computer do you? Try your antivirus software first.
Barny
Rep:
?
(Original post by XTinaA)
You don't have some auto shut down thing on your computer do you? Try your antivirus software first.
Nope, anti virus?
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It could also be CPU overheating and it's turning off as a safety thing. If that's the case, you might wanna think about getting a new heatsink/fan.
makesomenoise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Go to Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Power Options, see if there's anything unusual...
Barny
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nylex)
It could also be CPU overheating and it's turning off as a safety thing. If that's the case, you might wanna think about getting a new heatsink/fan.
Yeh this is what Im thinking
Barny
Rep:
?
(Original post by XTinaA)
Go to Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Power Options, see if there's anything unusual...
Already done
Barny
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nylex)
Would it be the CPU fan or the computer fan? And err, what temperature does the CPU turn off at?
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
Would it be the CPU fan or the computer fan? And err, what temperature does the CPU turn off at?
Usually CPU fan, AFAIK. The CPU temp your machine shuts down at will depend.. could be 50 degrees C, or above. There's usually a setting for it in your BIOS (when you boot, there'll be a prompt saying something like "press DEL to enter setup", should be in there somewhere).
Barny
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nylex)
Usually CPU fan, AFAIK. The CPU temp your machine shuts down at will depend.. could be 50 degrees C, or above. There's usually a setting for it in your BIOS (when you boot, there'll be a prompt saying something like "press DEL to enter setup", should be in there somewhere).
Yeh I have that option enabled, as obviously, I dont want my CPU to be destroyed..
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
Yeh I have that option enabled, as obviously, I dont want my CPU to be destroyed..
There should also be a setting for the temp it turns off at. The critical temp also depens on what CPU you've got.
Barny
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nylex)
There should also be a setting for the temp it turns off at. The critical temp also depens on what CPU you've got.
Surely it wont take 11/12 hours for the temperature reach the shutdown temperature though? And also, once its been off for 10 minutes and cooled down so to speak, it would mean that Id be able to turn it back on without any hitches? Well after the first shutdown it generally just keeps turning off almost as soon as I reach windows - and sometimes doesnt even start at all. I also have to unplug the computer at the mains rather than just turn the power supply off/on. Any other ideas?
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
do u keep ur pc near a radiator, also are the vents on the case completely clear of any objects blocking them?
gumbald
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Is your fan working properly, or is it covered in dust?

Move into a colder room and try using your computer.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (84)
33.6%
No I don't (118)
47.2%
I work during the holidays (48)
19.2%

Watched Threads