The Student Room Group

Grade 8 Theory?

Do you think there's any point in me learning grade eight theory over summer and then doing the exam in November? I'll be doing music AS level next year and I wonder if it helps at all for that

Thanks
Grade 8 theory is considerably more advanced than Music A Level, so if you would like to take it that's good, but it's not necessary to push yourself before AS level.

Generally, if you have about grade 5 theory or a bit above you should feel comfortable with the whole A Level

Hope that helps :h:
Reply 2
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Grade 8 theory is considerably more advanced than Music A Level, so if you would like to take it that's good, but it's not necessary to push yourself before AS level.

Generally, if you have about grade 5 theory or a bit above you should feel comfortable with the whole A Level

Hope that helps :h:

Have you done grade 8 theory? Did it take a lot of work?

Original post by AdaamCarter
Have you done grade 8 theory? Did it take a lot of work?

I'm actually a piano and music theory teacher now :smile: . It is a fair bit of work, but it depends on how much you've done before and alike.
Reply 4
I'm actually a piano and music theory teacher now :smile: . It is a fair bit of work, but it depends on how much you've done before and alike.

Wow; do you think I could teach myself? Could you recommend any books or resources that might help?

Thanks
Wow; do you think I could teach myself? Could you recommend any books or resources that might help?

Thanks

It's certainly possible to teach yourself, but I'd recommend having a tutor help you at least a bit.
The ABRSM theory in practice books are very useful, as are the ABC guides that go with them.
Reply 6
It's certainly possible to teach yourself, but I'd recommend having a tutor help you at least a bit.
The ABRSM theory in practice books are very useful, as are the ABC guides that go with them.

Do you think there's any point in me learning grade eight theory over summer and then doing the exam in November? I'll be doing music AS level next year and I wonder if it helps at all for that

Thanks

Do it :smile: I highly recommend it.

It will give you UCAS points and is very valuable for applying to music courses at university.

I can't remember the extent to which A level music and grade 8 music theory are related in terms of their content but with every university music course I applied to, they were interested in the fact that I held grade 8 popular music theory with LCM and I'm sure it'll be the same case with someone who holds ABRSM grade 8 music theory.
Reply 8
Original post by laurakate1988
Do it :smile: I highly recommend it.

It will give you UCAS points and is very valuable for applying to music courses at university.

I can't remember the extent to which A level music and grade 8 music theory are related in terms of their content but with every university music course I applied to, they were interested in the fact that I held grade 8 popular music theory with LCM and I'm sure it'll be the same case with someone who holds ABRSM grade 8 music theory.

I'm not entirely sure whether I'm going to apply for music at university, but I suppose doing the theory will keep my options open.

Quick Reply

Latest