The Student Room Group

Can maths be taken without Statistics or Mechanics?

My college offers Maths courses with Statistics or Mechanics. But is it possible to take maths without these units and just take C1, C2, C3 and C4?
Original post by Azhar.96
My college offers Maths courses with Statistics or Mechanics. But is it possible to take maths without these units and just take C1, C2, C3 and C4?

On Edexcel you can have a Pure Mathematics AS qualification which is C1-3 and the A2 certificate which is C1-4, FP1 and a choice of FP2 or FP3.

To get the complete Maths A Level you are required to take 2 applied units in addition to core (C1-C4).
Well, you could take Decision (but that's a bit :s-smilie:).

But to answer your question, you must take 2 applied units for A Level Maths.

You can also do Pure Maths (AQA), but that also requires more than just C1-4 and needs some FP units as well IIRC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
To add to what m4ths said there's a qualification called Pure Maths for AQA too, although it contains C1 C2 and FP1 for the AS, then C3 C4 and one of FP2/FP3/FP4 for the A2
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Theres a pure mathematics qualifications, they i've never seen anyone actually take it.

Mechanics / Stats isnt really that bad you know....
Reply 6
My college uses the OCR exam board for Maths. To gain to full qualifications would I need the additional two units?
Reply 7
My college uses the OCR exam board for Maths. To gain to full qualifications would I need the additional two units?

Yes. C1-C4 plus Decision/Mechs/Stats of your choosing (well your school/teacher)

Quick Reply

Latest