Report Thread starter 5 years ago
can someone please explain how a student oyster work please

would i still have to buy my fares or would the card have money in
J_say
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Basically you apply online and they ask for confirmation from your uni to prove you go there. You get a Student oyster, this is the same as an adult oyster however, you get 30% off TRAVEL CARDS not fare's.

So for a zone 2 - 4 travel card for a week it usually costs £26, but with the student oyster it goes down to £18.
Zone 1 - 4 is £45 but with the oyster it goes to £32.

It's also cheaper if you buy monthly (depending on how many days you travel etc) also with the travel card, it counts for buses too!
selinazz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
J_say pretty much covered everything. However, to get 30% off fares (any travel you make without having travel card) you need to buy a 16-25 Railcard from National Rail, and get this linked to your student oyster card. Just go to a ticket office at any tube station and give them both the cards, they will link the discounts together for you.

As for payment, any travel cards are prepaid. Any other travel is charged based on distance traveled and peak/off-peak times. I think for students the daily cap off rate is around £5, which means that the maximum you can get charged in a day is £5 no matter how much you use the tube. You will need to have enough money on your card before you travel, so either top it up at the machines at tube stations, or set up auto topup online.
NellaNellz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
oh my days thank you very much for both of your answers helped a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (129)
15.45%
Uncertainty around my education (135)
16.17%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
9.46%
Isolating with family (57)
6.83%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (33)
3.95%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (72)
8.62%
Loneliness (88)
10.54%
Financial worries (35)
4.19%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (75)
8.98%
Exposure to negative news/social media (54)
6.47%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (78)
9.34%

Watched Threads