Ragnar_Lodbrok
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello guys,

I have two question which I would love to discuss with you.

First,
I am considering doing a 1-3 months finance internship through an internship agency.
Therefore, I wonder if you know any good agency that can in particular provide tier-2/3 finance companies in Singapore,Hong Kong or other parts of Asia.

Second,
I'm also contemplating UK, but I believe I may be too old.
I am a Master student but 26 years old. I have done a previous internship but not within finance.
My dream is however to work for JP Morgan or Goldman but my age can be a barrier.

I know some of you will say, "Nothing is impossible" and so fourth. But how much does my age add to my disadvantage? I study at a top-school but so far have experienced difficulties in landing local finance roles. I believe part of the explanation can be due to my age, and relatively low experience due to my age.
MAINE.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Repped for the username (love that show).

Technically in the UK companies are not allowed to discriminate by age when screening candidates. Don't think 26 is too old for an internship - I interned at a bulge bracket bank and there were 2 guys on my internship that were 25 and 26 (tbh there were probably more people around that age on the internship, but those were only 2 I knew of). Banks in London have a lot of people from Continental Europe, where norm is to do a masters before you start work (so uni is like 4/5 years) - so seeing candidates around the mid-20s age mark is normal.

Obviously can't change your age or your prior experience, so only thing you can do is researching up on the forum here and other sources on things you can do to make your app stand out.
Tokyoround
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
26 is fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.7%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
12.96%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
14.81%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (6)
11.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (21)
38.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (10)
18.52%

Watched Threads