Rude Asda staff. Watch

Georgie_M
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Red one)
The nearest waitrose is a 40 min drive from me whereas Asda is like 20mins.

Being treated with courtesy and respect shouldn't cost me 20mins of my time.
But good customer service does cost you, that's the whole way the system works. If I want cheap goods I go to a cheap shop where the service isn't good when I want good customer service I choose accordingly. You were in Asda.
abdulahi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To cut a long story short I was Asda, no more than 2 hours ago, and I encountered a slew of despicable and frankly uncouth Asda workers. From the unhelpful shop-floor workers to the unpleasant check-out people.

I asked a guy working on the shop floor where the gluten free bread was and he directed me to an empty receptacle. He shrugged when I asked him if they had more in storage. So I just walked way from him while he was explaining to me possible alternatives.

And the check-out girl was too busy speaking to her friend on the opposite counter to pack my bags. When I asked her for more bags she drew a blank face and continued to bury my shopping under a mountain of plastic bags.

Seriously, why work at a place if you don't want to be there? People need to be enthusiastic about their jobs.

:rolleyes:
how does it feel like to be a supermarket
ilem
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maybe they knew what your TSR account was :laugh:
Haykins
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well I have to say I do agree with all the comments over what it is 'like' to work on checkouts at Asda, indeed any retail job. As they all involve customers, and believe me the odd person who actually talks to you with a little respect is a very small percentage. Most people are rude.
The job is mind numbing and boring, you really do feel like a robot, doing the same thing for hours at a time.
It does not mean you are not qualified or unmotivated, or anything negative to get another job, and you do start the job enthusiastically.
But you see, Asda has the 'happy to help' criteria, you are told to be polite, you are told to offer to pack shopping, you are told to chit chat, you are told to keep eye contact and smile, and all the while being an octopus and a robot and concentrating, yes concentrating on not making a mistake, as if you do some customers can be very rude.
And if you do not adhere to the 'happy to help' criteria of all the things that you are told to do you face a little chat with the manager. You are spied on by other staff and customers are sent in as the mystery shopper.
Believe me when I say, knowing you are watched really does take the motivation out of naturally being friendly.
Also the 'customers pay your wages' debate is so old fashioned. I am a customer at Asda, so I must pay my own wages!
If you think I do not know what I am talking about, I work on the checkouts at Asda and have been for eight years.
Thank god it is not my only job!
Red one
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by SuperWolfPaws)
Your making generalisations. Please establish your own work ethic first before you accuse, as very apparent you do not have one.
YOU are the one entitled, lacking compassion and bitter.

I'm entitled because I think being nice is a courtesy that a retail worker should afford their customers? Are you forgetting who is paying your wages?

:rolleyes: Some people.
neal95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They have such a stupid way of recruiting - the application completely disregards experience which let's be honest is the same in all supermarkets
Per
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
And it isn't rude to walk away from someone while they're speaking to you? I used to work in Asda part time while at uni and it was the single most mind numbing experience of my life. A position comparable only to that of a battery hen. Did you even ask for help with packing? Because in no way are they obliged to do it without you asking. The crap they go through on a daily basis serving snot nosed people under a white light you're lucky they didn't try to suffocate you with the bag.
SuperWolfPaws
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm entitled because I think being nice is a courtesy that a retail worker should afford their customers? Are you forgetting who is paying your wages?

:rolleyes: Some people.
the way you have written you posts , you seem to expect politeness and smiles as mandatory in every customer facing incident. This is not always possible, it is human nature to be sad, even distressed during work, it is not always possible to be on the ball with being polite to every customer. And I don't work at Asda btw.
Stewie2011
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To cut a long story short I was Asda, no more than 2 hours ago, and I encountered a slew of despicable and frankly uncouth Asda workers. From the unhelpful shop-floor workers to the unpleasant check-out people.

I asked a guy working on the shop floor where the gluten free bread was and he directed me to an empty receptacle. He shrugged when I asked him if they had more in storage. So I just walked way from him while he was explaining to me possible alternatives.

And the check-out girl was too busy speaking to her friend on the opposite counter to pack my bags. When I asked her for more bags she drew a blank face and continued to bury my shopping under a mountain of plastic bags.

Seriously, why work at a place if you don't want to be there? People need to be enthusiastic about their jobs.

So you think ASDA workers should wipe your bum for a minimum wage job they probably despise going to in the morning are worked of there feet anyway, taking **** from their managers/supervisors for not working hard/quick enough despite them already working there **** off. Then taking **** from customers all day long constantly complaining, asking stupid questions, interrupting their shelf stacking, etc. so they get hardly any work done for which they will get **** from their supervisors. Whilst having to put up with abuse from chavy customers, odd bods, rubbish from people who think they have any say in the produce or how it is manufactured, and silly pr announcements over the tannoy, garish colours and people constantly ignorantly walking into them while they try and stack shelves.

I am surprised they were as helpful as they were but you, miss snooty, it wasn't good enough for you. Yeah, bet they love customers like you, who stroll around at a leisurely pace and have nothing better to do than get up yourself over not being treated like royalty in a supermarket. Why not apply for a job there I'm sure you'll see it differently if you were on the receiving end. No I wouldn't expect supermarket staff to get all on edge over every silly customer uppityness for the minimum wage doing a basic grade job.
College_Dropout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So the rude person is the one you walked away from while he was talking to you?
Budashra
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

He tried to suggest alternatives for you, that's not really rude. Also you are meant to pack your own bags.
Red one
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Budashra)
He tried to suggest alternatives for you, that's not really rude. Also you are meant to pack your own bags.

No, and no.

I didn't want an alternative, I asked him to check the storage. What sort of massive supermarket doesn't keep things in storage. He probably wanted to save himself the trip...

It's not that I wanted her to pack my bags but I did want her to at least slow down on swiping items as I was getting buried in plastic bags.

And are you sure they're not meant to pack your bags for you? I always have people do it for me.
VK96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was ASDA too.

Then I woke up and I was Morrisons.

So weird.
KatsToes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There is no excuse for bad manners from shop staff, even a polite hello, likewise it's rude when a customer is on their phone when they are being served or just throw their money at the cashier.
It works both ways.
word2yamother
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Has my post where I said that retail is an easy job sector rubbed you the wrong way? If so good.

Either quit your job or actually do the job with a smile. You could learn a thing or two from the Eastern European folk they've got a strong work ethic that I believe is lacking from the entitled lot of which you're no doubt a member.
Oh the irony of someone whos never worked a day in their life waffling about what hard work is. How about you get a job first
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, and no.

I didn't want an alternative, I asked him to check the storage. What sort of massive supermarket doesn't keep things in storage.
Most supermarkets don't. They run a just in time stock system. Stuff in the back won't sell, and backroom space is wasted shop floor space.

Also, they do gap checking and check stock figures regularly. That's much more accurate than a person having a wander.

Posted from TSR Mobile
just a dad
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by KatsToes)
There is no excuse for bad manners from shop staff, even a polite hello, likewise it's rude when a customer is on their phone when they are being served or just throw their money at the cashier.
It works both ways.
I've seen good and bad from shop staff. However, and as a general rule of thumb, I find they start off as polite and then rapidly adjust to the demeanor of the customer.

Polite and pleasant customers, as a rule, are often served by polite and pleasant members of staff.
Robertrh
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Quite often customers are obnoxious and rude to staff, messing up aisles, eating food before paying for it and you wonder why staff get fed up, customers think because you work in a supermarket you are thick, a lot of staff have good qualifications and/ or studying/ed at universities
HanimalGurl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
This post is 5 years old and the OP is banned, idk how you found it, why it isnt closed or why you commented xD
(Original post by Robertrh)
Quite often customers are obnoxious and rude to staff, messing up aisles, eating food before paying for it and you wonder why staff get fed up, customers think because you work in a supermarket you are thick, a lot of staff have good qualifications and/ or studying/ed at universities
Robertrh
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by HanimalGurl)
This post is 5 years old and the OP is banned, idk how you found it, why it isnt closed or why you commented xD
So what if the post if 5 years old it is still relevant, though I must admit I have worked for various supermarkets, asda is the most amateurish that I have worked for and also have the worst customers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (316)
15.3%
The paper was reasonable (1132)
54.79%
Not feeling great about that exam... (453)
21.93%
It was TERRIBLE (165)
7.99%

Watched Threads