Help- Essex or Sussex uni Watch

studentmoi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

I'm an international student and will be studying international relations this fall. Right now I'm really struggling to choose between Sussex and Essex. I've visited both of the universities, and I loved Colchester campus and it seems that the student life on campus is really good.
I didn't find Colchester city so amazing as Brighton. I didn't get so much information about the student life at Sussex. Does anyone know how the student life is at Sussex ( Are societies and clubs active?) How's the nightlife at Sussex compared to Essex?

I really like the IR course at Sussex, it seems to me that IR at Essex is more about politics (?). Are there anyone studying IR at Essex that could tell me something about it?

As I am an international student, I don't know much about the universities reputations, could anyone tell me something about that? It would be very helpful.

Is Sussex a better schools since they require higher entry standards?
I think it's so hard to coose one of them as I find both of the universities very good :-D

I think it's more expensive to live in Sussex though, the accommodations and school fee is more at Sussex than Essex.

I know this is a lot of questions but it would be very helpful if anyone could help a little?

- Confused international student
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by studentmoi)
Hi,

I'm an international student and will be studying international relations this fall. Right now I'm really struggling to choose between Sussex and Essex. I've visited both of the universities, and I loved Colchester campus and it seems that the student life on campus is really good.
I didn't find Colchester city so amazing as Brighton. I didn't get so much information about the student life at Sussex. Does anyone know how the student life is at Sussex ( Are societies and clubs active?) How's the nightlife at Sussex compared to Essex?

I really like the IR course at Sussex, it seems to me that IR at Essex is more about politics (?). Are there anyone studying IR at Essex that could tell me something about it?

As I am an international student, I don't know much about the universities reputations, could anyone tell me something about that? It would be very helpful.

Is Sussex a better schools since they require higher entry standards?
I think it's so hard to coose one of them as I find both of the universities very good :-D

I think it's more expensive to live in Sussex though, the accommodations and school fee is more at Sussex than Essex.

I know this is a lot of questions but it would be very helpful if anyone could help a little?

- Confused international student
I don't go to either university and I've never visited Essex but based on what I know:
-Overall Sussex does have a better reputation than Essex. Essex is by no means a bad uni but Sussex is very popular due to being near Brighton, a popular studenty/arty/cultural city whilst Colchester isn't such a popular place for people to want to live (this happens a lot in the UK, some universities get a better
reputation due to location over anything else because that makes them popular choices). Really though I wouldn't say there is that much between the two unis. You should choose the one you prefer overall.

It is true that in Essex that Politics is one of its strengths rather than IR .

And nightlife in Brighton is supposed to be very good, I remember from the guided tour I went to that the campus nightclub isn't very popular because students all choose to go to Brighton instead.
studentmoi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
I don't go to either university and I've never visited Essex but based on what I know:
-Overall Sussex does have a better reputation than Essex. Essex is by no means a bad uni but Sussex is very popular due to being near Brighton, a popular studenty/arty/cultural city whilst Colchester isn't such a popular place for people to want to live (this happens a lot in the UK, some universities get a better
reputation due to location over anything else because that makes them popular choices). Really though I wouldn't say there is that much between the two unis. You should choose the one you prefer overall.

It is true that in Essex that Politics is one of its strengths rather than IR .

And nightlife in Brighton is supposed to be very good, I remember from the guided tour I went to that the campus nightclub isn't very popular because students all choose to go to Brighton instead.

Thank you for replying! It helped. I have still not made a choice, so difficult.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sussex is the best of the two for IR. Brighton is a fantastic city to be a student in.

General advice about choosing Firm/Insurance here - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.04%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (68)
9.88%
No I am happy with my course choice (392)
56.98%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (97)
14.1%

Watched Threads