Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've recently firmed for a Masters in MechEng at Lancaster Uni.

I have a desktop PC at the moment and have never needed a laptop before, does anyone have any suggestions for ones for uni? I do believe it's going to need to be able handle CAD/CAM software and MatLab
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Tom_Anks)
    Hi, I've recently firmed for a Masters in MechEng at Lancaster Uni.

I have a desktop PC at the moment and have never needed a laptop before, does anyone have any suggestions for ones for uni? I do believe it's going to need to be able handle CAD/CAM software and MatLab
    Your university will have computers with all of the software you require on them, so it doesn't need anything other than the ability to run Office, although if you can splash out on something more powerful it won't do any harm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Your university will have computers with all of the software you require on them, so it doesn't need anything other than the ability to run Office, although if you can splash out on something more powerful it won't do any harm.
    Fair enough, wasn't too sure about that. Although what about working on stuff outside of working hours? Or that's a bit of silly question actually, as I'm sure computers will be open pretty much 24/7
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Fair enough, wasn't too sure about that. Although what about working on stuff outside of working hours? Or that's a bit of silly question actually, as I'm sure computers will be open pretty much 24/7
    Early morning until late night definitely, and yes, maybe even 24/7.

Pretty much everyone on my course had a laptop, but in reality no-one really used them during uni as we all used the uni's computers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Early morning until late night definitely, and yes, maybe even 24/7.

Pretty much everyone on my course had a laptop, but in reality no-one really used them during uni as we all used the uni's computers.
    That's great. I will just look around for a decent laptop now

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm still in secondary school (UK) and have chose my options I would also like to become a mechanical engineer and please tell me if these are the suitable options I chose for my GCSEs:

Double science
    Computer science
    Geography
    French

Also what A levels shall I take

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnLE)
    Hey I'm still in secondary school (UK) and have chose my options I would also like to become a mechanical engineer and please tell me if these are the suitable options I chose for my GCSEs:

Double science
    Computer science
    Geography
    French

Also what A levels shall I take
    What does double science entail? I did triple at GCSE which was just physics, biology and chemistry.

Computer science is definitely a useful subject to get interested in while you're still in secondary school, I don't know how much you enjoy it but try and do a lot with that at home and maybe join computing clubs if your school has them.

In all honesty though, your GCSEs do not matter past secondary school and will not matter when it comes to applying for uni. To put it into some perspective my GCSE options were Music, History and IT.

What will set you aside from others is getting experience. This summer look into schemes you can get involved with (look up Nuffield, they do a lot with regards to student research schemes).

But don't just have your mind set on engineering at this stage! Get yourself out there doing everything you can. I went to St James' Palace to get my Gold Duke of Edinbugh award yesterday and that's benefited me more than anything to do with Mechanical Engineering I've done so far.

Good luck with everything and let me know if you've got any more questions (which I hope you do!)

ReputationRep:
    What does double science entail? I did triple at GCSE which was just physics, biology and chemistry.

Computer science is definitely a useful subject to get interested in while you're still in secondary school, I don't know how much you enjoy it but try and do a lot with that at home and maybe join computing clubs if your school has them.

In all honesty though, your GCSEs do not matter past secondary school and will not matter when it comes to applying for uni. To put it into some perspective my GCSE options were Music, History and IT.

What will set you aside from others is getting experience. This summer look into schemes you can get involved with (look up Nuffield, they do a lot with regards to student research schemes).

But don't just have your mind set on engineering at this stage! Get yourself out there doing everything you can. I went to St James' Palace to get my Gold Duke of Edinbugh award yesterday and that's benefited me more than anything to do with Mechanical Engineering I've done so far.

Good luck with everything and let me know if you've got any more questions (which I hope you do!)
    Hey!

Heres a link to what double science is or you can search it up
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_..._GCSE?#slide=1. Also yes I have a few more questions how much maths is needed in ME and would you recommend it. Also I will look for other things

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Heres a link to what double science is or you can search it up
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_..._GCSE?#slide=1. Also yes I have a few more questions how much maths is needed in ME and would you recommend it. Also I will look for other things
    That makes sense. So you don't do physics then? Maybe you should check out some of the physics videos on Khanacademy.org, really interesting stuff.

It's going to be heavily maths based, I would highly recommend taking Further Maths at A-Level if you get the chance. It touches on a lot of core topics that you will need for MechEng. Although there is a big problem-solving and business side to things that will be easier to grasp for certain people compared to others.

ReputationRep:
    That makes sense. So you don't do physics then? Maybe you should check out some of the physics videos on Khanacademy.org, really interesting stuff.

It's going to be heavily maths based, I would highly recommend taking Further Maths at A-Level if you get the chance. It touches on a lot of core topics that you will need for MechEng. Although there is a big problem-solving and business side to things that will be easier to grasp for certain people compared to others.
    Ok. I definitely am going to do further maths but I think you do do physics in double science but if not can I still do it at A level?

ReputationRep:
    Ok. I definitely am going to do further maths but I think you do do physics in double science but if not can I still do it at A level?
    Oh yes definitely, A-level physics is completely different from GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes definitely, A-level physics is completely different from GCSE.
    Thats even if I don't do it at GCSE? Which is highly unlikely. Sorry for all the questions.

ReputationRep:
    Thats even if I don't do it at GCSE, which is highly unlikely? Sorry for all the questions.
    Yes definitely, you're actually solving things in A-level. Whereas GCSE (from what I remember) is just learning parrot-fashion how a few things work.

No worries about all the questions, though! I'm glad to help

ReputationRep:
    Yes definitely, you're actually solving things in A-level. Whereas GCSE (from what I remember) is just learning parrot-fashion how a few things work.

No worries about all the questions, though! I'm glad to help
    Ok! Last question what shall I take for A-Level? Im thinking of taking Further maths, maths,physics and possibly chemistry. Thanks for all your help.

ReputationRep:
    Ok! Last question what shall I take for A-Level? Im thinking of taking Further maths, maths,physics and possibly chemistry. Thanks for all your help.

I took this, and am studying these this year, it sounds good, and from reading you sound like a good candidate for these topics.

I did have a friend who did these at the start of the year but switched Chemistry for Computing, that's also an idea, but both are great subjects

But definitely do triple science GCSE if it is an option, as far as I know, my college didn't accept anybody doing any A-Level Science unless they had done triple science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mubariz)
    I took this, and am studying these this year, it sounds good, and from reading you sound like a good candidate for these topics.

I did have a friend who did these at the start of the year but switched Chemistry for Computing, that's also an idea, but both are great subjects

But definitely do triple science GCSE if it is an option, as far as I know, my college didn't accept anybody doing any A-Level Science unless they had done triple science
    I'm not doing triple I'm doing double I think a good college would still accept me. I hope.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not doing triple I'm doing double I think a good college would still accept me. I hope.

Maybe check with the college first before you decide, you really don't want to regret anything

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.