The Student Room Group

Living at home for uni or leaving home for uni?

So I'm between staying at home for university or leaving for university. I want to know what it's like (both good and bad, socially, financially, etc) leaving for uni or staying for uni.
This really depends on where you live... e.g. if you're moving to a city.. or a uni in a rural area and where you already live if you plan on staying home. However here's my list of the best & worst things from personal experiences and observations.

Best things about leaving home for University:

- You're able to meet more people, living in halls is a great way of meeting a lot of different people.
- Moving to a new city/area. It's nice for a change of scenery.
-You become so much more independent. You learn to cook, do your own washing etc.
- No need for permission to do whatever you like. (Lol, a favourable thing for people who come from moderately strict family)
-Your social life is enhanced. This entirely depends on what type of social life you have, if you enjoy drinking & clubbing, moving out is a good option. I say this because I go to a university in the midlands (originally from London) and I find that my social life is much better than those of my friends who live and stayed home in London for university. Nights out are quite frequent because of how close the nightlife is to us however in places like London travelling back home from clubs in central can be quite a nightmare when you live around the outskirts of London. However having said this, if you are someone who doesn't drink and is more of a chilling person, whether you stay at home or move out may not necessarily be a problem.
- Most people won't have to pay for transportation costs as most people who move out live quite local to their university. I live 10-15 minutes from my uni so that's a cost I don't have to budget for.
- Some uni's have 24 hour libraries which is something that I myself find really useful because I work best during the evening/night so having the option to work there at night is brilliant.

Worst things about leaving home for University:

- Just because you are able to meet a lot of different people doesn't necessarily mean you're going to like/get on with them. In my halls, each floor has 16 people divided into 4 flats, so I live with 3 other people and there's a flat I know where no one likes each other lol.
- Financially, it's quite expensive to move out. You not only have to pay for accommodation and/or bills (if it's not inclusive) but you need to pay for things such as food, transportation costs if you don't live close to the uni and for regular travel back home, nightlife, laundry etc. which all adds up.
- There's no one (parents) to cook for you, do your laundry etc. Lol, you're all on your own on this one. So you have to fit all this into your uni schedule
- Some people have to find part time jobs just to survive at Uni. whilst the job itself isn't the problem, the toll of it can affect your studies/social life.
- I think the whole moving back home over summer is going to be tough. Transporting everything back home is such a pain especially since you come back in September, however what a lot of people are doing and what I may do myself is just hire a storage place and leave it over summer.

Best things about staying home for University:

- Financially, you save so much money. You don't have any accommodation costs to worry about.
- If you're lucky you'll still get your parents to help you out, cooking, laundry and all that = sorted!
- If you already have a part time job you won't have to worry about getting a transfer or finding a permanent job won't be a problem because you won't be moving all over the place (e.g. those who move to uni and come back for xmas/easter/summer breaks)
- You can see your friends and family regularly depending on how far they live
- You won't feel homesick - something that a lot of students experience once they get to uni
- You don't have to worry about all the things you have to buy for uni - the pots, cutlery, bedding, bathroom things and extra stuff

Worst things about staying home for University:

- Socially, your best chances of meeting people are through lectures and societies. Really and truly I personally feel glad that I moved into halls because I doubt I would have the same social life I have if I had stayed home. People say you can still have a good social life even if you stay home, it's all about the effort you put into making friends which I do agree with but from observation a lot of people at my uni who live in halls tend to stick together and the few people I do know that commute to my university do not really go out at much as the people who live in halls. However it's all down to you as a person and the effort you put into making friends.
- Your family may be a distraction but this entirely depends on the kind of family you have. I come from a family where I have 3 younger siblings (3, 7 & 8 years old) and they are the biggest distractions ever! As much I love them, there's no way I could do my work around them.
- Transportation costs can be high depending on how far you live from your Uni. My friends in London commute and although they get student discount on travel it can still be quite costly. However the main thing is to weigh the pros of cons on this matter as although transportation costs may be high to commute, moving out means you'll have to spend more money on accommodation etc.
A set of twin I know who whent to uni at fb the same time doing rhe en same course nearly. One committed and the other stayed in hal. Thye noth loved it and both come out haveing GB a good time.but that was a long time ago about 14 uear I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending