Braces and facial change Watch

Michy0812
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,
A few weeks ago I had two of my top premolar teeth and one of my bottom front teeth extracted so that I can get my braces fitted. I was doing some research about braces and last night I read that it can change the shape of your face. I'm not vain but I am really worried about this as I have confidence issues as it is. I read a bout some people who say there faces have been ruined and I'm really scared. I don't have particularly bad teeth, I have a bit of overcrowding and my overbite is normal.
I'm also 16 so I know that my jaw is in its final stages of growing. Would this affect the profile change or could it stop it from occurring.
Im really upset that my orthodontist didn't tell me about this before my dentist removed my teeth. I've seen that the premolar teeth extractions have the most affect on the face but I know people who have had 6 teeth removed and they still look the same but they were younger when they had their braces on.
Could anyone tell me about their experiences? I'm really worried and would appreciate it if someone could put my mind at rest. Thanks
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I needed my top jaw expanded so a quad-helix (metal wire hexagon) was fitted and I had it on for nearly a year. It didn't make a significant change in my facial shape overall, but it made my cheeks a bit fuller. I actually look a lot better now than I used to, so my experience was a positive one. If you have any more questions, just ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Michy0812
Rep:
?
(Original post by Edminzodo)
I needed my top jaw expanded so a quad-helix (metal wire hexagon) was fitted and I had it on for nearly a year. It didn't make a significant change in my facial shape overall, but it made my cheeks a bit fuller. I actually look a lot better now than I used to, so my experience was a positive one. If you have any more questions, just ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, I'm just really worried. I'm going on Wednesday to get the bottom bracket put on. I'm just wondering whether 16 was too late to have this done since my jaw has already stopped or nearly stopped growing:confused:
Michy0812
Rep:
?
(Original post by thenewone61)
I had braces around that age. Don't worry, you'll be fine. Your orthodontist would have informed you of any cosmetic issues prior.
Thanks. I really appreciate anyone telling me about their experiences. Did you notice a change or not ?
corax
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was worried about it changing my face too. I had a brace on at 16 on my top teeth and I think it made my lips more pronounced in a good way - like they're slightly bigger? That or they've grown, idk.

I still have the same slight overbite I had before I got them so nothing has changed there.

Honestly, not much will change. I was worried too because when I was in primary school my friend had braces and her jaw completely changed but that must have been because she was really young.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Michy0812
Rep:
?
(Original post by corax)
I was worried about it changing my face too. I had a brace on at 16 on my top teeth and I think it made my lips more pronounced in a good way - like they're slightly bigger? That or they've grown, idk.

I still have the same slight overbite I had before I got them so nothing has changed there.

Honestly, not much will change. I was worried too because when I was in primary school my friend had braces and her jaw completely changed but that must have been because she was really young.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That sounds slightly more positive. Did you have any teeth extracted?
corax
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Michy0812)
That sounds slightly more positive. Did you have any teeth extracted?
Yeah I had quite a few of my baby teeth left so they took them all out before my brace. It had taken me years to get a brace because they wanted them to fall out naturally. I can't remember how many I had taken out though.

I wish I had some before and after pictures... I wonder if my orthodontist will give me a copy of the ones he took, aha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Michy0812
Rep:
?
(Original post by corax)
Yeah I had quite a few of my baby teeth left so they took them all out before my brace. It had taken me years to get a brace because they wanted them to fall out naturally. I can't remember how many I had taken out though.

I wish I had some before and after pictures... I wonder if my orthodontist will give me a copy of the ones he took, aha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The teeth I had taken out were adult ones but I'm going to see my orthodontist tomorrow so I will be able to ask her about my worries then. Thank you for telling me anyway, I feel a bit more reassured
corax
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Michy0812)
The teeth I had taken out were adult ones but I'm going to see my orthodontist tomorrow so I will be able to ask her about my worries then. Thank you for telling me anyway, I feel a bit more reassured
Good luck! hopefully they'll put your worries to rest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheGuy117
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Every facial change I've seen in myself and other people as a result of braces has been a positive one...
Michy0812
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheGuy117)
Every facial change I've seen in myself and other people as a result of braces has been a positive one...
Was it a really noticeable change or a subtle one
Michy0812
Rep:
?
I'm just kind of worried since I have quite a small heart shaped face and I have read on the internet that you can have a sink in look if you have a small face
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are cats selfish

Yes (40)
50.63%
No (39)
49.37%

Watched Threads