The Student Room Group

I can't stop squeaking and meowing and jerking my head

Recently I've started like an uncontrollable urge to jerk my head, or my arms, particularly as I am lying in bed trying to go to sleep or when I feel tired (it isn't the natural jerks of you going off to sleep, it is more like an urge whichI instantly satisfy before I can control it, I'm not sure how to describe it).

In the past week or so I've also started squeaking and making meowing sounds, and although most of the time I do this when I'm alone and don't get the urge so much to do it around other people, I think some people are starting to notice, and I'm wondering what is wrong with me and if I'm going crazy.

I was recently diagnosed with OCD - could this be a side effect of medication, or another side to OCD? Or is it completely unrelated? Does this happen to anyone else?
What medication are you on for the OCD? Often OCD is treated with antipsychotics and these can cause uncontrollable movements.
Sounds a lot like tourettes.

See a doctor.
Reply 3
It sounds a little like tourettes to me, tourettes is often co-morbid with OCD.

The best thing you can do is go and see your GP.
It could have something to do with your OCD

I don't know if you have ever watched "girls" - it may not be your kind of show but find a way to watch Girls, Season 2 Episode 9 "On All Fours"

Sorry to give you really bad advice I know you should never take advice from TV, but maybe if you see something similar you will have an idea of what's going on.

If you want to get a bit of context watch episode 8 - she has OCD but she does a lot of twitching, a lot of repeated head turning, even vagina pulsing (apparently).

Good luck, I hope someone can give you better advice.
Reply 5
Original post by Sabertooth
What medication are you on for the OCD? Often OCD is treated with antipsychotics and these can cause uncontrollable movements.

I was prescribed SSRIs (antidepressants). I started on fluoxetine, and I was recently switched to Sertraline. Will the uncontrollable movements subside?
Reply 6
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Sounds a lot like tourettes.

See a doctor.

Original post by Reeeeyah
It sounds a little like tourettes to me, tourettes is often co-morbid with OCD.

The best thing you can do is go and see your GP.

Thanks for your replies :-)

I mentioned the headjerking to my GP amongst other side effects from my first medication (sexual side effects, sleep, never feeling hungry), so she switched me over and said to see how things progressed. I've got an appointment in two weeks time, but part of me is wondering if I am putting this on because I do feel the urge but it comes out before I can do anything about it, but then in other contexts I completely forget about it... so I don't know.

I just looked up Tourette's though, and it seems it is often diagnosed in childhood, or at least, by the age of 18... I'm 20 nearly 21....
Reply 7
You're turning into a cat man stay safe.

Seriously though, I'd seek a GP man, hope it gets better :smile:.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
I was prescribed SSRIs (antidepressants). I started on fluoxetine, and I was recently switched to Sertraline. Will the uncontrollable movements subside?

My guess would be it is the sertraline. From my experience it can give you the most terrible shakes when you become tired (which can be a lot of the time). My tremors never subsided, but everybody gets different side effects.
Reply 9
Original post by DiddyDec
My guess would be it is the sertraline. From my experience it can give you the most terrible shakes when you become tired (which can be a lot of the time). My tremors never subsided, but everybody gets different side effects.

Hmm, though they started before the Sertraline (the squeaking got worse with it though). I've only taken Sertraline for a week. I don't have shakes or tremors, its more like an urge to have a spasm, I'm not sure, it feels like I'm doing it as opposed to it just happening but I find it hard to control. I don't know if this is the same as you have..?

I'm just a bit worried these urges aren't going to vanish :frown:
Hmm, though they started before the Sertraline (the squeaking got worse with it though). I've only taken Sertraline for a week. I don't have shakes or tremors, its more like an urge to have a spasm, I'm not sure, it feels like I'm doing it as opposed to it just happening but I find it hard to control. I don't know if this is the same as you have..?

I'm just a bit worried these urges aren't going to vanish :frown:

If you are concerned, go and see your GP as soon as you have the time to spare. I'm sure they can give you a good explanation.
Reply 11
Original post by DiddyDec
If you are concerned, go and see your GP as soon as you have the time to spare. I'm sure they can give you a good explanation.

Thank you - I will!
I've been squeaking all day :frown:
... so I went to the GP - she says she believes it is linked to my OCD (although when I am alone I find I am squeaking and jerking without thinking about it, and in company I'm thinking about trying not to do it - but I'm not making these noises/movements to fend off obsessions or thoughts...
My GP also said it wasn't a side effect of my medication (Sertraline) ...

Anyway, the squeaking is slowly driving me crazy, not sure what to do. :s
... so I went to the GP - she says she believes it is linked to my OCD (although when I am alone I find I am squeaking and jerking without thinking about it, and in company I'm thinking about trying not to do it - but I'm not making these noises/movements to fend off obsessions or thoughts...
My GP also said it wasn't a side effect of my medication (Sertraline) ...

Anyway, the squeaking is slowly driving me crazy, not sure what to do. :s

Did the GP not mention what you can do about it? You could try asking to see a psychiatrist if your GP is out of her depth maybe? :dontknow:
You probably need to keep going back to your gp and push for a referral to a psychiatrist or psychological services. If its part of your ocd, you need help dealing with that, if its a tourettes type thing, that needs to be recognised in order to help you with that.

You often have to be pushy... See different doctors at the practice. Some will be better than others.

Quick Reply

Latest