The Student Room Group

Scared about First Year Exams at University

Hello everyone!

Basically I'm in my first year at Oxford and I've got my first year exams (Prelims) in June, and I'm absolutely terrified for them! I haven't done as much revision as I should have this Easter and even though my tutors haven't been negative about my work and I haven't done badly (although at my college the tutors don't give us grades for our essays, just comments so I have no idea what grade I'm working at) I'm just really scared about failing.

I was just wondering if anyone could describe their experience of revision/ exams especially people studying English, like revision techniques used and if anyone has studied English at Oxford how easy is it to pass if you put the work in? I've heard it's impossible to fail but nonetheless I've always been pessimistic and self-doubting when it comes to exams and I guess I just want some reassurance that as I long as I revise hard from now on I can pass?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

X
Reply 1
Original post by Morgasm19
I guess I just want some reassurance that as I long as I revise hard from now on I can pass?

As long as you revise hard from now on, you can pass! In fact although 'it's impossible to fail' is a bit hyperbolic it is pretty rare to fail Prelims. You should pass if you put in a modicum of work and it sounds like you are.

Actually from what you say it sounds more like the dangers for you are more about state of mind than state of work. Try not to le't let anxiety about failure stop you from preparing, and don't dwell on the thought that you haven't revised as hard in the past—you can't change that and you mustn't let it distract you from revising in the present. A certain amount of worry is a natural response to the situation so there's no need to feel bad about feeling bad, but at the same time try to identify when you're worrying, observe the worry, set it aside and focus on what you can do in the here and now.

Have you explored any of the welfare/pastoral support options available to you through your college or through OUSU? If not, that might be worth trying. You're far from the only student in the university feeling self-doubt and anxiety about exams, there ought to be help available and you shouldn't feel weak or ill because you seek it out—getting help is a rational and active decision.

I've taught undergraduate English at Oxford but I didn't do my BA there so I'm not entirely sure I can usefully comment on practical revision tips. I would say, though, that even tutors who don't give grades (guilty!) are often willing to give you a rough indication of the level you're working at (like, 'at present you're in the middle of the 2.1 bracket') if you ask. (Indeed I was taught that it's pedagogically useful to withold numerical grades, but if you do so it's good practice to give students regular updates on the general standard of their work whether or not they ask for them.) Of course tutors vary and if you're stuck with someone intimidating or if your tutors flatly refuse to pronounce on your performance in that way then there's no helping that, I suppose.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by QHF
As long as you revise hard from now on, you can pass! In fact although 'it's impossible to fail' is a bit hyperbolic it is pretty rare to fail Prelims. You should pass if you put in a modicum of work and it sounds like you are.

Actually from what you say it sounds more like the dangers for you are more about state of mind than state of work. Try not to le't let anxiety about failure stop you from preparing, and don't dwell on the thought that you haven't revised as hard in the past—you can't change that and you mustn't let it distract you from revising in the present. A certain amount of worry is a natural response to the situation so there's no need to feel bad about feeling bad, but at the same time try to identify when you're worrying, observe the worry, set it aside and focus on what you can do in the here and now.

Have you explored any of the welfare/pastoral support options available to you through your college or through OUSU? If not, that might be worth trying. You're far from the only student in the university feeling self-doubt and anxiety about exams, there ought to be help available and you shouldn't feel weak or ill because you seek it out—getting help is a rational and active decision.

I've taught undergraduate English at Oxford but I didn't do my BA there so I'm not entirely sure I can usefully comment on practical revision tips. I would say, though, that even tutors who don't give grades (guilty!) are often willing to give you a rough indication of the level you're working at (like, 'at present you're in the middle of the 2.1 bracket') if you ask. (Indeed I was taught that it's pedagogically useful to withold numerical grades, but if you do so it's good practice to give students regular updates on the general standard of their work whether or not they ask for them.) Of course tutors vary and if you're stuck with someone intimidating or if your tutors flatly refuse to pronounce on your performance in that way then there's no helping that, I suppose.

Thank you so much for your response!

Yes I may well go and talk to welfare if I feel stressed when I go back to college. I would be scared to ask what standard I'm working at but then my tutors have said to us 'If there was a problem then we'd let you know' and I've expressed my concern about Prelims to my personal tutor (Who is also my tutor for Literary Theory) and she said 'If you were going to fail Prelims we would know by now and would be having discussions with you about it.' So I think you're right in that it's mainly my own self-doubt that's led me to believe I won't pass rather than any rational thought based on actual, practical evidence.

Haha, I agree I really do appreciate the fact that they don't give us grades for our essays even if it's just because it saves you from ignoring helpful advice and obsessing about what 'number' you got.

Thank you once again, your response was very useful and has made me feel much better :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Morgasm19
Thank you so much for your response!

Glad to hear that was reassuring. It sounds like your tutors think you're doing fine, and in some ways their judgement is likely to be more reliable than yours, particularly right now when you're stressed about the process. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending