The Student Room Group

A2 Music - Edexcel

Hullo!

Is anybody else about to go through their A2 Edexcel music exams? I'm having real trouble retaining the information on the set works and I was hoping some other members might have a load of key notes which they could share. My music teachers are a bit "up themselves" and they don't seem to want to give my class simple notes which we can apply to the written essays when it comes to the exam in *ohmygod* two months and three days.

I'm also interested to know how many set works other members have covered so far. We have done 10/14, and of those 10, I feel I have sufficient notes in two, maybe three of them. Like I've said, the teachers don't seem to want to give us the notes we actually need for the exam, and we have barely looked at some of the set works before being told we're moving on to the next one!

The works I'm showing real concerns with are these:

Wagner (huge lack of notes)
Taverner (haven't been over in enough detail)
Haydn (not enough notes)
Red Stripe Ebony Steelband (not sure how I would write an essay for it)
Bach (huge lack of notes)
Webern (I just don't get what I can write about in an essay)
Beethoven (I don't have enough notes for the development/recapitulation - see picture two)

The ones I think I'm alright with:

Debussy (I'm a pianist, so it's a bit easier to understand, plus I can play most of the piece myself! - see picture one)
Duke Ellington (though I still would like more notes on it to be sure)
Horner (again, extra notes would be handy)

The ones we haven't even started:

Sweelinck
The three Schumann pieces

Soooo... Does anybody have any notes they'd like to share for each of the sections in the pieces (melody, harmony, rhythm, metre, texture, tonality, resources and structure), or else know anywhere with easy-to-understand notes which anyone can remember and put to use in an essay? The main issue I have is that my notes are either too complicated for me to understand, or are completely non-existent.

Cheers
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump.

Surely someone is taking music? I know it's unpopular, but it can't be this ​unpopular!
Reply 2
http://getrevising.co.uk/members/ashtonfrancesca has some really helpful mindmaps if you wanted to use them. I'm having exactly the same problem as you, except I had absolutely no notes until the Easter holidays...when I made mind-maps for all of the set works. My friend last year, who goes to Cambridge, did that and it must have worked for her :P
Original post by Jake!!
Bump.

Surely someone is taking music? I know it's unpopular, but it can't be this ​unpopular!

I know, right? I thought it was just me, everyone seems to be taking maths and science and history and ****! Want to be studybuddies?
On the Edexcel website there's a section within GCE music called 'Teacher Support Materials' it has information for all the set pieces and that's what our teacher got us to learn from when I did the course last year. They're really helpful and contain all the different things you need to know for the exam. I think the mark scheme is generally similar to them considering the info is written by people working for Edexcel :smile:
Original post by Claddagh_Ring
On the Edexcel website there's a section within GCE music called 'Teacher Support Materials' it has information for all the set pieces and that's what our teacher got us to learn from when I did the course last year. They're really helpful and contain all the different things you need to know for the exam. I think the mark scheme is generally similar to them considering the info is written by people working for Edexcel :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest