The Student Room Group

Can't straighten arm...

So I did a bicep workout and now I can't straighten my arms I have more than a day rest between workouts. I think this happened because I overworked my bicep but how do I get it so I cans straighten it. It was my first workout for a while and the dumbell wasn't even heavy. Really annoying. And I only did 30min on bicep with my normal abs workout I do.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Anyone know what stretches I can do...

Posted from TSR Mobile
You've got doms I reckon. Can you tell me more about the pain?

Try some ibuprofen, warm bath and (light) bicep stretches (google 'em).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by RollerBall
You've got doms I reckon. Can you tell me more about the pain?

Try some ibuprofen, warm bath and (light) bicep stretches (google 'em).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for reply. Yes that's what im doing now light bicep stretches. I feel pain when I try straightening both arms the pain is from forearm to bicep and it's really hard to straighten arm. Hopefully I would have recovered by tomorrow as I got football.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Still the same anyone know a website which explains the stretches to do livestrong is so confusing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by qr95
So I did a bicep workout and now I can't straighten my arms I have more than a day rest between workouts. I think this happened because I overworked my bicep but how do I get it so I cans straighten it. It was my first workout for a while and the dumbell wasn't even heavy. Really annoying. And I only did 30min on bicep with my normal abs workout I do.

Its just general wear and tear. Your muscles are going through hypotrophy. To reduce the effect and take advantage of the reduced elasticity of the muscle fibres forcibly stretch your arms fully out, the pain won't damage you. Keep stretching them with no weights and they should widen out and allow more flexibility. Also try a warm bath and massage the area. You can stretch across your chest and restrain with your free hand. Or just extend it slowly and keep it there for a minute or two then repeat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
No pain No gain. NEVER THINK LIKE THIS ON YOUR FIRST WORKOUT FOR A WHILE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Im not lying now. I found a stretch on Google images and did it for 30sec straight after I can straighten my arm. MIRACLE! ALREADY an improvement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qr95

Each time you work out muscle fibres break and repair more stronger (what makes you stronger) when I go to the gym to get over the ache pains after gym, I have a post gym protein shake, Just 100% whey protein. Next day I feel fine and muscles have recovered almost to 90% and can go work out the same muscle if need be. I'd recommend buying some whey protein.

EDIT: Or try and get as much protein as possible, muscles need protein! If you dont want to buy whey, trying eating food with high protein content; Meats,fish,beans,rice,peanuts ect...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Thanks for replies guys. Very helpful. Just going to have to work legs for a while. Just going to go HAM on these stretches aswell
(edited 10 years ago)
Don't fully straighten your arms at the bottom of each rep in future to prevent further pain if your elbow joints been hurting.
Reply 11
Day 4 : no improvement :frown: But straight after stretching it feels normal for a minute.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stretching makes it feel good again, but as soon as you leave it in a fixed inactive point again I.e. resting, then it will tighten up again. The bottom line is it'll go after a week tops. Warming the area can speed things up.

Sent from my HTC One
Reply 13
30 minutes on biceps. Silly boy.

Quick Reply

Latest