The Student Room Group

How are you revising for a levels

Feel free to discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Depends for what subjects. For instance, for biology I've made notes on each spec point using 3/4 sources (books,revision guides etc). Then I'm doing all the exam style question packs for each topic and then in the last month of may just knock out all the recent past papers as I would've already completed the old spec papers by the end of april. Use may also for learning mark schemes and examiners reports :biggrin:.

As for Chemistry, just do all the past papers past and present and anything I'm stuck on i'll go through with my teacher after Easter.
Reply 2
Original post by FutureMedic1009
Depends for what subjects. For instance, for biology I've made notes on each spec point using 3/4 sources (books,revision guides etc). Then I'm doing all the exam style question packs for each topic and then in the last month of may just knock out all the recent past papers as I would've already completed the old spec papers by the end of april. Use may also for learning mark schemes and examiners reports :biggrin:.

As for Chemistry, just do all the past papers past and present and anything I'm stuck on i'll go through with my teacher after Easter.

You put me to shame. You seem so organised. I just keep on jumping around topics.
Original post by zed963
You put me to shame. You seem so organised. I just keep on jumping around topics.

Haha no not nearly as you think, I think most people around this time including me are jumping around from topic to topic. THE STRESSSSS
Reply 4
Maths - Just past papers and exercises in the workbook.
French - Past papers and writing essays, luckily I have been making sure I learn things properly as I go so I feel quite confident about it and it's the subject I'm revising the least for.
Economics - Past multiple choice questions, writing up revision notes, working through the revision booklets we got given at college - I could probably do with doing some actual past paper data response questions but I hate the 25 mark questions so I've been putting that off :colondollar:
Sociology - I have done pretty much nothing productive for sociology for the whole of the Easter holidays because I don't know what's the best way to go about revising for it, I'll probably end up making some summary sheets for different studies and statistics and definitions, but I've definitely been putting this off...
Reply 5
Original post by Toriar
French - Past papers and writing essays, luckily I have been making sure I learn things properly as I go so I feel quite confident about it and it's the subject I'm revising the least for.
Economics - Past multiple choice questions, writing up revision notes, working through the revision booklets we got given at college - I could probably do with doing some actual past paper data response questions but I hate the 25 mark questions so I've been putting that off :colondollar:
Sociology - I have done pretty much nothing productive for sociology for the whole of the Easter holidays because I don't know what's the best way to go about revising for it, I'll probably end up making some summary sheets for different studies and statistics and definitions, but I've definitely been putting this off...

Are you doing past papers so. That you know where you are going wrong and then going over that topic ?
Original post by Toriar

Which exam board are you doing for French? I'm doing AQA and the mark scheme for the essay is reeeally picky...or so my teacher says...how much grammar are you revising? I'm just going for vocab really. hah
Reply 7
Original post by zed963
Are you doing past papers so. That you know where you are going wrong and then going over that topic ?

That's pretty much my strategy. If I get a question wrong in maths I'll try and work out how to get to the correct answer without reading the working in the mark scheme. If I succeed, I put it down to silly error. If I still can't do it, I know that's a problem area for me.
It's also a way of motivating yourself because (hopefully) if you're doing good revision you should notice your mark improving every time.

Original post by BeautifulPotato
Which exam board are you doing for French? I'm doing AQA and the mark scheme for the essay is reeeally picky...or so my teacher says...how much grammar are you revising? I'm just going for vocab really. hah

Yeh I'm doing AQA too and I know, the essay is pretty difficult isn't it? I just go with a short sentence or 2 for intro, 3 medium length paragraphs with examples and justifications which I link back to the essay question/title, then a brief conclusion. It might be a good idea to write down some good sentences for each topic using subjunctive or something complex so that you can learn them and hopefully slot them into your essay somehow :tongue: I haven't been doing much grammar revision because that's probably my strongest area (in my past papers I've been generally getting 9/10 on the grammar section) but I am planning on doing some more vocab soon because I have forgotten a lot from the beginning of the year. Oh, I have some quizlet pages I made that might help you with grammar btw:
http://quizlet.com/31803905/grammar-irregular-past-participles-perfectpasse-compose-flash-cards/
http://quizlet.com/31803768/grammar-irregular-verb-stems-futureconditional-tense-flash-cards/
http://quizlet.com/31803667/grammar-a-and-de-verbs-flash-cards/
http://quizlet.com/34032833/grammar-irregular-subjunctive-verbs-flash-cards/
I also have a lot of vocabulary on my quizlet but I realise different colleges learn different stuff so it might not be relevant for you :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Specification and past papers are my best friend
Going through everything looks like it went in one ear and came out the other when I did it in class
Original post by MidnightDream
Going through everything looks like it went in one ear and came out the other when I did it in class

Thats exactly how I feel. Especially for biology. Do you review what you've learnt after every lesson?
Reply 11
Original post by LadyUchiha
Thats exactly how I feel. Especially for biology. Do you review what you've learnt after every lesson?

Same. Even for physics. That quantum stuff messed me up big time.
Past papers past papers past papers. I get them marked and go over the topics i got wrong for biology, maths and chemistry. For english i just write essays and waffle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:five: for me it's Economics
no I've never done that, wish I had as it would saved having to do it all now :laugh:
Original post by zed963

What quantum stuff? :confused:
Reply 15

In physics
Original post by zed963

Original post by zed963
In physics

Yeah lol I got it after i posted it.
Reply 17

Yeah lol I got it after i posted it.

Which a levels do you do?
Reply 18
Depends for what subjects. For instance in Politics I tend to go for the more traditional nightly rota of crying myself to sleep. In History I tend to just stare blankly at a wall thinking about my dream university in despair. Sometimes, when I'm feeling hopeful for English, I open my book so as to lay my head on a slightly softer surface than the desk.
Original post by zed963
Which a levels do you do?

Biology, chemistry and media.
We learn a bit of quantum in chem but not accurately

You?

Quick Reply

Latest