The Student Room Group

Edexcel C2- logs mixed exercises so hard?

I'm resitting C2 in a month or so and i was just going through the end of chapter mixed exercises for logs and wow.. some of them are exceptionally hard! much harder than i've seen on any exam papers!

There's almost none using the standard rules- anyone here working through these or want to have a go with me? i'm genuinely finding some of them a lot harder than anything i've done in C4 lol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by lmorgan95
I'm resitting C2 in a month or so and i was just going through the end of chapter mixed exercises for logs and wow.. some of them are exceptionally hard! much harder than i've seen on any exam papers!

There's almost none using the standard rules- anyone here working through these or want to have a go with me? i'm genuinely finding some of them a lot harder than anything i've done in C4 lol

I've done C2 maths and passed it a year or two ago - though if you could post some of the questions, I'd be happy to look.

Remember the rules of logs, in particular: log x + log y = log (x*y), and log x - log y = log (x/y).

Also good to look through the exam papers, but don't rely on them. After all there was a huge uproar on last years C3 paper because it was much harder than the previous exam papers.
Reply 2
Original post by spotify95
I've done C2 maths and passed it a year or two ago - though if you could post some of the questions, I'd be happy to look.

Remember the rules of logs, in particular: log x + log y = log (x*y), and log x - log y = log (x/y).

Also good to look through the exam papers, but don't rely on them. After all there was a huge uproar on last years C3 paper because it was much harder than the previous exam papers.

Yeah i'm really comfortable with those laws, but of about 12 questions there is 1 or 2 which need them but the entire rest is solving equations with different log bases :redface: seems a bit unusual to me
Reply 3
Yeah i'm really comfortable with those laws, but of about 12 questions there is 1 or 2 which need them but the entire rest is solving equations with different log bases :redface: seems a bit unusual to me

In that case it is usually best to get them all into one base, preferably base 10. do you know the rule to change base?
Reply 4
In that case it is usually best to get them all into one base, preferably base 10. do you know the rule to change base?

Why?

The base you use completely depends on the question, 10 is not often the most useful. If anything ee is more commonly used due to the ease of performing operations on it.
Reply 5

yeah i do, i'm just surprised at how few there are using the standard logs equation, iirc most of the exam questions were just based around logs of the same base? it's good prep anyway i suppose

http://www.millhill.derbyshire.sch.uk/maths_resources/sept2013/Edexcel-Maths-C2.pdf
p49 Q10 is the main one that i'm stuck on if you have any idea how to tackle it.. D=
Reply 6
Original post by alow
Why?

The base you use completely depends on the question, 10 is not often the most useful. If anything ee is more commonly used due to the ease of performing operations on it.

Well, yes you can use ee or lnln but I prefer things in base 10. depends on the question though.

logax = logbx/logba is the formula you need.
Reply 7
yeah i do, i'm just surprised at how few there are using the standard logs equation, iirc most of the exam questions were just based around logs of the same base? it's good prep anyway i suppose

http://www.millhill.derbyshire.sch.uk/maths_resources/sept2013/Edexcel-Maths-C2.pdf
p49 Q10 is the main one that i'm stuck on if you have any idea how to tackle it.. D=

Aah... looks like the C2 book I used! :biggrin:

I'll take a look after lunch. :smile:
Reply 8
Hahaha I honestly thought I was going mad. They are solid, but I guess it tests a lot of your understanding there is still a few questions I can't seem to do on it. At first when we were being taught I thought it was ridiculous but I guess you get used to it. I still can't do question 10 or 12 though :frown:
Reply 9
Aah... looks like the C2 book I used! :biggrin:

I'll take a look after lunch. :smile:

Reply 10
Original post by Super199
Hahaha I honestly thought I was going mad. They are solid, but I guess it tests a lot of your understanding there is still a few questions I can't seem to do on it. At first when we were being taught I thought it was ridiculous but I guess you get used to it. I still can't do question 10 or 12 though :frown:

i'm on q12 now- will let you know how it goes if i'm able to help :P
edit: think i've done q12, which part are you stuck on?
(edited 10 years ago)
Cor that question 10's got me stumped! :eek:
Reply 12
Cor that question 10's got me stumped! :eek:

Q10 has actually come up loads of times on TSR!

Post what you've tried with it so far :smile:

EDIT: the question isn't quite right. x = y = 0 will satisfy it! But apart from this solution you need x + y = 1.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by davros

EDIT: the question isn't quite right. x = y = 0 will satisfy it! But apart from this solution you need x + y = 1.

the thing being I've already done c2! I was trying to help another member on here who needs help with the question!

I took logs on both sides, then got stumped!
Reply 14
Original post by davros

yeah i really haven't got much, i don't really know how to approach it at all honestly D= hopefully this uploaded properly? it's one of my attempts but idk what i'm doing lmao
edit: only thing i can guess is that i will probably have to use simultaneous equations for it since there's 3 but i have no idea how to form them
IMG_20140415_142509349[1].jpg
(edited 10 years ago)
Find the possible values for x which 2^2x+1=3(2^x)-1

go! please? also, if you could explain why that'd be great

just gone back through the whole of the logs topic pretty much, but I've got this brick wall. What do I do with the right hand side?

A school published an entire copyright book online ? lol
Reply 17
Original post by samthemiller
Find the possible values for x which 2^2x+1=3(2^x)-1

go! please? also, if you could explain why that'd be great

just gone back through the whole of the logs topic pretty much, but I've got this brick wall. What do I do with the right hand side?

is that 2^(2x) + 1 = 3(2^x)-1?
or 2^(2x+1)
is that 2^(2x) + 1 = 3(2^x)-1?
or 2^(2x+1)

2^(2x+1)= 3(2^x)-1
Reply 19
Original post by samthemiller
2^(2x+1)= 3(2^x)-1

try rewriting it where 2^x = y

edit: must admit it seems like a very odd question to start off a logs mixed exercise o.O this is what i meant by they're unusually hard :L

Quick Reply

Latest