The Student Room Group

University choices

Hi, i'm currently about to do my AS exams but I'm thinking about which university open days I would like to go on in the near future. I want to study Psychology fairly close by, so no more than 3 hours outside of Manchester and I'm not really bothered what type of university as i'm more considering the different universities which are best for my course at the moment. Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Sheffield, Manchester itself, Lancaster, Swansea, Keele, Leeds, Hull, Nottingham, Leicester. These are just some I don't know how far some of them are though.
Original post by katiereading
Hi, i'm currently about to do my AS exams but I'm thinking about which university open days I would like to go on in the near future. I want to study Psychology fairly close by, so no more than 3 hours outside of Manchester and I'm not really bothered what type of university as i'm more considering the different universities which are best for my course at the moment. Thank you :smile:

No more than 3 hours outside of Manchester leaves a lot of options open, you've got a lot of universities that would fall within that. Have a look at things like The Guardian's University League Tables for Psychology, which not only compare the teaching and research between different universities but also the student satisfaction with the course, which is a really important thing to consider too.

Once you've gathered the names of maybe, 10 universities on there (you should look broadly at this stage, before selecting the 5 that you'll apply to), look them up on the UCAS website to get an idea of what sort of entry requirements they're asking for and if you reckon you'd be able to achieve that at the end of A2. Look at some above your current grades, at your grades and below your grades (or predictions) because summer exams are completely unpredictable.

Have a scroll around their websites, quite a few do 'virtual tours' of accommodation and campuses so you can get a rough feel of what it all looks like, then consider visiting some of the universities you like best. Most will start running open days after AS exams are finished, generally June-September, but if you can't make it along to those, some will run 'campus tours' on a weekly basis too. And, of course, there's forums for various universities on TSR so having a look around those and getting some student opinions may be of use to you too.
Reply 3

It really depends on the kind of grades you are likely to get as to which universities you should be considering. There are dozens of universities offering psychology within a few hours of Manchester, but you need to narrow it down a bit by which are realistic options for you.
The problem I had was I rushed my selections.

Scrutinize every university you are looking at, not only with the course but also the university as a whole, make sure that it is the relevant course for what you want to do, also write down a list of the top 10 uni's you are interested in and head over to http://www.unistats.com.

These will give you an indepth analysis on how the uni's are from both sides.

Hope this helped!

Cheers

Marvin
Reply 5

Birmingham in top 10 for Psychology in all 3 main league tables (Sunday Times, Complete UG, Guardian), as is Glasgow (prob less thah 3 hrs by train ?) UCL highly ranked by all, London only just over 2hrs on train from Manchester.

Quick Reply

Latest