Blyts-_
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Discuss whether markets alone can be relied upon to reduce the problems of
environmental pollution.

What can the market do to reduce environmental pollution? I get that the gov. could intervene and implement taxes etc. but what would markets do?
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Alex-Torres
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Blyts-_)
Discuss whether markets alone can be relied upon to reduce the problems of
environmental pollution.

What can the market do to reduce environmental pollution? I get that the gov. could intervene and implement taxes etc. but what would markets do?
The free market can help reduce environmental pollution through the price mechanism. For example, say all the car producers are using unsustainable sources to make their cars (say from Coal). Ceteris paribus, with a rise in demand for the coal, prices should increase, and the "rationing function" should set in. I.e. naturally the free market go to cheaper alternatives (which will be environmentally friendly since they're under consumed and cheaper - in theory). For example, petrol has become so expensive recently, that people have been switching to electric cars (or is this a result of excessive petrol taxes? Discussion could be made here). You could evaluate and say in practice, green energy sources are too expensive, and the rationing function would set in pretty late before people starting switching their pollution habits.

Secondly, governments can "nudge" the free market to pollute less, without specific "command and control" tactics. For example, pollution permits, aren't making the free market companies produce less CO2, just persuading them/making it more attractive to be more environmentally friendly. Other "nudges" include the creation of property (removing the tragedy of the commons) and taxation (this is technically an outright govt intervention, but again, you could argue it's more of a persuasion/nudge as opposed to an outright ban or regulation).

For more help on Economics, visit my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/multiplexinggamer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (208)
43.51%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (56)
11.72%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (36)
7.53%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (102)
21.34%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (49)
10.25%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed