sjrm95
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am looking to upgrade my laptop. I don't use it for gaming, but I have to do basic video editing for university. I use Sony Movie Studio 12 Platinum Suite.

I have narrowed it down to two laptops:

(Custom built) Lenovo Z500
Processor: Intel Core i5 3230M 2.60GHz
RAM: 4GB
Hard Drive: 1TB
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GT 635
£499

(Refurbished) ACER Aspire E1-572
Processor: Intel Core i7-4500U 1.8 GHz
RAM: 6GB
Hard Drive: 750GB
Graphics Card: Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4400
Amazon link for this laptop can be found here
Price: £419.99

I'm leaning towards the ACER based on price. Having looked at benchmark tests it seems that both are very similar, with the i5 even outperforming the i7 on some tests. Hard drive is a non-issue as I have an external hard drive anyway. The other issue is dedicated graphics card vs integrated one. I don't believe it to be too important if I'm not gaming but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for reading! A little bit of clarity would be nice
391iady
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sjrm95)
I am looking to upgrade my laptop. I don't use it for gaming, but I have to do basic video editing for university. I use Sony Movie Studio 12 Platinum Suite.

£499

Graphics Card: Not sure (but it is Integrated and not Dedicated)

I'm leaning towards the ACER based on price. Having looked at benchmark tests it seems that both are very similar, with the i5 even outperforming the i7 on some tests. Hard drive is a non-issue as I have an external hard drive anyway. The other issue is dedicated graphics card vs integrated one. I don't believe it to be too important if I'm not gaming but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd suggest the first one for various reasons.
HussainP
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Macbook Pro would be best. I have one, and love it
sjrm95
Rep:
?
(Original post by 391iady)
I'd suggest the first one for various reasons.
What are some of these reasons please?
sjrm95
Rep:
?
(Original post by PrincessPB)
Macbook Pro would be best. I have one, and love it
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm afraid I can't afford anything remotely close to that! The absolute MOST I could stretch to would be £500.
HussainP
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm afraid I can't afford anything remotely close to that! The absolute MOST I could stretch to would be £500.
Then get a Sony Vaio. They're just as good
HussainP
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Or between the choices you have stated earlier prob the Lenovo but I'm not really sure about that Laptop to be honest. I just know sony, samsung and Apple macbook are really good. Or look online and compare models and features and see which is the most suitable one
391iady
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What are some of these reasons please?
Firstly the graphics card.
Secondly it isn't refurbished.
NIMBAH
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd go for the second. Difference between them is not much so you might as well go for cheaper option.

If its just for light video editing then the GPU in the first won't help you much. The processors are too close to make a difference. 6gb ram is nice as well.
sjrm95
Rep:
?
(Original post by NIMBAH)
I'd go for the second. Difference between them is not much so you might as well go for cheaper option.

If its just for light video editing then the GPU in the first won't help you much. The processors are too close to make a difference. 6gb ram is nice as well.
Yeah I've been reading around and this seems to be the common opinion, as well as saving me money!
Would you happen to have any idea if those specs will be any good for video editing? Right now my big problem is it being virtually impossible to preview what I am editing.

Thank you!
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

£499

Graphics Card: Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4400

The reason why that i5 can outperform the i7 is because the i7-4500U is a dual core just like the i5 on a laptop and it is used mainly for ultrabooks due to the low voltage needed to run it, so its a bit underpowered for the i7 brand in my opinion.

Technically its not important, integrated graphics these days can easily play older games and even some modern one on very low settings, however as your editting, I do believe it can help in certain circumstances such as 3d modelling, rendering, etc.

Personally don't recommend Acer or Dell (except business range) laptops , as they tend to be at the bottom of the pile when it comes to reliability/quality.

There is this Acer, though, has the proper i7 quadcore power though at your own risk http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ACER-...7_1478219.html

Have a look at these:
http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenov...1_1536151.html

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ASUS-...H_1504450.html

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/LENOV...4_1532103.html

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Asus_...7H/version.asp

Other weird option, is get this and buy an SSD which are quite cheap at the moment, about £80 for a 240gb Crucial M500, swapp the Harddrive over. And get a HDD enclosure to use the Hard drive as a external HDD and the SSD will give a huge boost in performance.
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...d-laptop-deals
sjrm95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iqbal007)
The reason why that i5 can outperform the i7 is because the i7-4500U is a dual core just like the i5 on a laptop and it is used mainly for ultrabooks due to the low voltage needed to run it, so its a bit underpowered for the i7 brand in my opinion.

Technically its not important, integrated graphics these days can easily play older games and even some modern one on very low settings, however as your editting, I do believe it can help in certain circumstances such as 3d modelling, rendering, etc.

Personally don't recommend Acer or Dell (except business range) laptops , as they tend to be at the bottom of the pile when it comes to reliability/quality.

Other weird option, is get this and buy an SSD which are quite cheap at the moment, about £80 for a 240gb Crucial M500, swapp the Harddrive over. And get a HDD enclosure to use the Hard drive as a external HDD and the SSD will give a huge boost in performance.
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...d-laptop-deals

Wow, thanks a lot for all your advice! I'll be taking a closer look at all those laptops you posted, I really appreciate the help

As for the last idea, it sounds intriguing but I think I would be scared to do anything like that, having done absolutely no hardware computing before! Sounds interesting though :P

Again, thanks for your time.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wow, thanks a lot for all your advice! I'll be taking a closer look at all those laptops you posted, I really appreciate the help

As for the last idea, it sounds intriguing but I think I would be scared to do anything like that, having done absolutely no hardware computing before! Sounds interesting though :P

Again, thanks for your time.
Its really easy, a screw or not and push the hdd out and replace with the ssd and screw back in and then reinstall the OS and the drivers.
Loshie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The lenovo. Faster clock speed on processor and dedicated graphics means the performance should be better than the other one. In terms of storage get an ssd.
go2thezoo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
video editing require a laptop with decent vga nvidia or ati but not intel
and an I7
benplumley
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I absolutely second the advice to swap the HDD out for a SSD (or alongside it, if you've got a spare bay). The performance increase from spending £80 on an SSD compared to if you spent it on processor, GPU or RAM is massive.

As regards the two you've posted, I'd personally avoid Intel if I could but I realise that's not so easy to do with a laptop. 1TB seems like overkill but integrated graphics might be a bit underwhelming if you run any games.
ihavemooedtoday
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The i5 should be much faster than the i7. There are actually very few architectural differences between them (mobile i5 and mobile i7), and clock speed is still the most important.

For video editing you'll be looking mostly at CPU.

Video card doesn't matter if you are not gaming.
sjrm95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Loshie)
The lenovo. Faster clock speed on processor and dedicated graphics means the performance should be better than the other one. In terms of storage get an ssd.

(Original post by go2thezoo)
video editing require a laptop with decent vga nvidia or ati but not intel
and an I7

(Original post by benplumley)
I absolutely second the advice to swap the HDD out for a SSD (or alongside it, if you've got a spare bay). The performance increase from spending £80 on an SSD compared to if you spent it on processor, GPU or RAM is massive.

As regards the two you've posted, I'd personally avoid Intel if I could but I realise that's not so easy to do with a laptop. 1TB seems like overkill but integrated graphics might be a bit underwhelming if you run any games.

(Original post by ihavemooedtoday)
The i5 should be much faster than the i7. There are actually very few architectural differences between them (mobile i5 and mobile i7), and clock speed is still the most important.

For video editing you'll be looking mostly at CPU.

Video card doesn't matter if you are not gaming.

Thanks for your extra advice guys! I actually ended up going for this laptop.
It seemed to be the best value for money. Special thanks to Iqbal007 for recommending the version of this laptop with less RAM, I had never heard of saveonlaptops.co.uk but it was excellent!
I haven't had a chance to install any video editing software yet to test it but I am extremely happy with its day to day performance. I have tried to keep the hard drive relatively empty and simply have most files on an external hard drive.

I have heard good things about SSDs, however currently this laptop seems to work quickly enough. I think I will definitely consider it in the future though.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks for your extra advice guys! I actually ended up going for this laptop.
It seemed to be the best value for money. Special thanks to Iqbal007 for recommending the version of this laptop with less RAM, I had never heard of saveonlaptops.co.uk but it was excellent!
I haven't had a chance to install any video editing software yet to test it but I am extremely happy with its day to day performance. I have tried to keep the hard drive relatively empty and simply have most files on an external hard drive.

I have heard good things about SSDs, however currently this laptop seems to work quickly enough. I think I will definitely consider it in the future though.
One thing I would check is the build quality of the laptop..........thats one of the main reasons I tend to avoid recommending Acer as there laptops tend to have a high fault issue generally.

Also another piece of advice for laptop users, especially heavy, try to use a laptop stand with holes so the cooling system isn't blocked.
sjrm95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iqbal007)
One thing I would check is the build quality of the laptop..........thats one of the main reasons I tend to avoid recommending Acer as there laptops tend to have a high fault issue generally.

Also another piece of advice for laptop users, especially heavy, try to use a laptop stand with holes so the cooling system isn't blocked.
Yeah I know it could be an issue but I guess I just decided to go for it.. wisely or not :confused: Ill try and remember that, thanks! You would think laptops would be designed with a better ventilation system in mind after years of people using their laptops on tables or on their laps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.49%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
16.97%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.02%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (79)
29.15%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.34%

Watched Threads