Is there a a simple way to determine the structure of a compound? AQA CHEM1

Watch
Lash
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I lose all my marks in past papers on the same kinds of questions.. the ones which are like "predict the type of crystal structure" or "predict the structure".

I know that for CHEM1 we only need to know about:
1. Ionic
2. Simple molecular
3. Macromolecular
4. Metallic

but I have no idea how to work out which one it will be, is there a simple way to work out what the structure/crystal structure will be?
Picture~Perfect
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well, looking at the periodic table is a big help, for example ionic bonding occurs between a metal and a non-metal atom, metallic bonding between two metal atoms and covalent bonding between two non-metal atoms. So the atoms involved are a big clue. As for macromolecular the examples are; diamond, graphite and silica.

I hope thats of some help.

Edit: Here is a link to an image showing a periodic table and the metal and non-metal atoms http://www.angelo.edu/faculty/kboudr...etals_fig1.gif
Lash
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Picture~Perfect)
Well, looking at the periodic table is a big help, for example ionic bonding occurs between a metal and a non-metal atom, metallic bonding between two metal atoms and covalent bonding between two non-metal atoms. So the atoms involved are a big clue. As for macromolecular the examples are; diamond, graphite and silica.

I hope thats of some help.

Edit: Here is a link to an image showing a periodic table and the metal and non-metal atoms http://www.angelo.edu/faculty/kboudr...etals_fig1.gif
Ok thank you that's great, how do you know if it's macromolecular or simple covalent though? If it's not one of the macromolecular examples then it is simple covalent? Thanks again
Picture~Perfect
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lash)
Ok thank you that's great, how do you know if it's macromolecular or simple covalent though? If it's not one of the macromolecular examples then it is simple covalent? Thanks again
Basically yes, covalent bonds fall into two categories, simple which is a few atoms joined together and macromolecular/giant covalent which is the examples I mentioned.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.67%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (31)
15.9%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (33)
16.92%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (29)
14.87%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (53)
27.18%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (36)
18.46%

Watched Threads