sherlock_lover_1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey guys,
I am studying the Victorians at university in my second year!
I was wondering if anyone could help,
I'm writing an essay on why the working class were so radical in the beginning of the era and towards the end,
I was wondering if anyone can help with key points or pivotal events they would include? I'm finding it difficult to priotize points!
Also what historians would be key to read into to help me make a deeper analysis?

Thanks!!

Hope someone can help me as I really wanna get a good grade!!
sherlock_lover_1
Rep:
?
anyone???
Moosferatu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey, I haven't studied this too much, but we did touch upon Chartism in one of my third year modules. You may want to look up Chartism and exclusive dealing: the movement and such practices (exclusive dealing was essentially patronising shops who supported the movement and boycotting those who didn't, an early incarnation of political consumption) arose out of a lack of political representation for the working classes. You may also want to examine living standards at the time - they were utterly appalling. The rich and middle classes did what they can get away with, just as they always do, and made things terrible for the working class. You need only read up on food adulteration to see it in the sources.

Engels wrote first-hand about this: See here http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx...class/ch04.htm a good primary source to look at there.

Also see this article: http://www.maneyonline.com/doi/abs/1...4581809X408410

Hope I've helped a bit at least.
sherlock_lover_1
Rep:
?
Thanks!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.49%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.8%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.07%
I need help with my personal statement (55)
39.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (35)
25.36%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.17%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.25%

Watched Threads