Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in my 2nd year of a Business Studies Undergraduate Degree and I'm starting to think I would like to teach Business at either an high school or college/sixth form.

However, what qualifications do I need? Never thought about it before so I am clueless when it comes to teaching. Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    You need to study for a PGCE- Post Graduate Certificate of Education

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daviesc)
    You need to study for a PGCE- Post Graduate Certificate of Education
    Thanks. How long would this take?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    Thanks. How long would this take?
    A year

ReputationRep:
    So do student finance financially support the PGCE?

ReputationRep:
    There are several methods of gaining QTS, which is the qualification you need to teach. A PGCE is the most common route, School Direct, Teach First and SCITT courses are other options. You will have access to tution fee and maintenance loans, as well as a bursary if you got a 2:1 or above in your degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrostyLemon)
    There are several methods of gaining QTS, which is the qualification you need to teach. A PGCE is the most common route, School Direct, Teach First and SCITT courses are other options. You will have access to tution fee and maintenance loans, as well as a bursary if you got a 2:1 or above in your degree.
    If you go down the SCITT route would you still be required to have a Grade C GCSE pass in English, Maths and a science? Would you also need to pass the QTS skills tests even if you have the necessary GCSE passes? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claretmad)
    If you go down the SCITT route would you still be required to have a Grade C GCSE pass in English, Maths and a science? Would you also need to pass the QTS skills tests even if you have the necessary GCSE passes? Thanks.
    Not 100% sure but I'm confident that in order to get on an ITT course you need to pass the skills tests and have grade c in English, maths and science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrostyLemon)
    Not 100% sure but I'm confident that in order to get on an ITT course you need to pass the skills tests and have grade c in English, maths and science.
    Thanks Frosty. That was my understanding as well.

ReputationRep:
    So to get on a PGCE course, do I just apply to the Uni of my choice or do I have to do a test or something?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.