Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    OK, now I don't like Nigel Farage, I disagree with him on most things and he pushed in front of me in the lunch queue once with much huffing about his own importance, but this expenses thing is utter balls.

What he has apparently used is not expenses, it is an allowance, MEPs get given it to do what the hell they like with and many trouser some of it, to be fair most British MEPs use it for genuine costs of running their operation and itemise it along with their actual expenses on their website. From what I remember you can't even give it back if you want to, Nick Clegg got in 'trouble' with the papers for something similar.

If anything Farage has been more dutiful than many MEPs by using it for something which he at least believes will benefit his constituents rather than spaffing it away in the bar at the Régent.

ReputationRep:
    ISTR Farrage claiming that he milked the EU expenses for as much as he could and ploughed it back into UKIPs coffers. No problems there. They've tried to smear him in the past with with this, but he's very open about it.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I think Farage has defended himself adequately. Clearly the suggestion that he was diddling expenses is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Can't be bothered, he makes for a good clown and every single politician fiddles with their expenses as much as Greece cooks their books so what's the issue again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    Can't be bothered, he makes for a good clown and every single politician fiddles with their expenses as much as Greece cooks their books so what's the issue again?
    The issue is a claim has been made about him fiddling his expenses. Farage has always said the EU expenses are ludicrous and claims as much as he can and puts it into UKIPs finances. Like him or loath him, I like the way he uses the system to his advantage.

ReputationRep:
    Loads of them are at it. They're only making a meal out of it in Farage's case because he's done it to aid his party and such logic defies them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Yep, I think Farage has defended himself adequately. Clearly the suggestion that he was diddling expenses is wrong.
    Not just this one...but I really do enjoy reading your posts. You never just come out with some boring tripe and always put across a reasoned argument regardless of the party/politician in question.

I would nominate you for a mod position in this forum should it come up
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mickey O'Neil)
    Loads of them are at it. They're only making a meal out of it in Farage's case because he's done it to aid his party and such logic defies them.
    To be fair they made a meal out of it in Clegg's case too for doing something fairly similar, that's when they found out you can't just hand allowance back over.

Ironically British MEPs make the rod for their own back as they publish expenses (both what the allowance is spent on and expenses claimed) on their websites for anyone who's interested, namely no one besides their assistant, to look at. If they just did like the the majority of MEPs, took it, paid some costs and then stuck it in a bank account without telling anyone they'd be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't be the first time that UKIP is found to have been mis-using allowances.

The EU state that allowances are to be used for activities and objects which are directly linked to the office of a member of the European parliament.

Farage has made a big hoo-ha about milking the system for the benefit of UKIP. Now if this means he has used the money on staff and equipment for UKIPs UK activities, then this would be wrong doing.

Now I think the story has been reported poorly and it certainly makes things sound a lot worse than it is. MEPs get a flat rate allowance for running an office and associated costs. The real question is, is the money being properly spent in line with EU rules... and given Farage's comments in the past, one would be forgiven for doubting they are.

Will be interesting to see what OLAF say, if anything.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    Wouldn't be the first time that UKIP is found to have been mis-using allowances.

The EU state that allowances are to be used for activities and objects which are directly linked to the office of a member of the European parliament.

Farage has made a big hoo-ha about milking the system for the benefit of UKIP. Now if this means he has used the money on staff and equipment for UKIPs UK activities, then this would be wrong doing.

Now I think the story has been reported poorly and it certainly makes things sound a lot worse than it is. MEPs get a flat rate allowance for running an office and associated costs. The real question is, is the money being properly spent in line with EU rules... and given Farage's comments in the past, one would be forgiven for doubting they are.

Will be interesting to see what OLAF say, if anything.
    Bt what else do you do with it with some left? My MEP used to just give staff bonuses each year, which was quite nice but not really furthering the objects of the EU.

My mate worked for an MEP from his home country who used to pay his secretary then whack the lot in a Swiss bank account. Now, admittedly he kept schtum about this whilst Farage makes a song and dance of his use, but if OLAF came down on him there would be many soiled pairs of trousers in Brussels as others are doing much worse.

ReputationRep:
    Think they are grilling a bit excessively but I think its more a strategy to discredit him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody seen this German news article on the EU expenses. Don't worry, it's subtitled.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wzEQWigzz30

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 24, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.