Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    The repeat of a positive integer is obtained by writing it twice in a row (so for example the repeat of 213 is 213213). Is there a positive integer whose repeat is a square number?

i said call the repeat number abcabc and assume the result is true such that abcabc=n^2 for some n of the set of natural numbers.

Then abcabc=10*101[100a+10b+c]=n^2 (writing out the sum of each digit and factorising)

Then for LHS to be perfect square:P 100a+10b+c=10*101 as 1010 is not a square and is not decomposed of squares since 10=5*2.

But we also must restrict 0<a<9 and same for b and c. So the max value of 100a+10b+c is 100(9)+10(9)+9=999 (in other words it is at most a 3 digit number)

So as 1010>999 none such repeat numbers exist as perfect squares

Is this argument ok? infact i have no idea if the conclusion is right as no answer was published alongside the question.

(after typing this up and rereading the question i have realised that although the example was a 3 digit number, the number could be as long as you want: i think if this proof is right i could extend it and you would always have the maximum 99...999< SOMENUMBER needed. )

What do you think?
    • Study Helper

(Original post by newblood)
    The repeat of a positive integer is obtained by writing it twice in a row (so for example the repeat of 213 is 213213). Is there a positive integer whose repeat is a square number?

i said call the repeat number abcabc and assume the result is true such that abcabc=n^2 for some n of the set of natural numbers.

Then abcabc=10*101[100a+10b+c]=n^2 (writing out the sum of each digit and factorising)

abcabc = 1001 * [100a+10b+c]=n^2
    And 1001 factorises as 7,11,13.

Then for LHS to be perfect square:P 100a+10b+c=10*101 as 1010 is not a square and is not decomposed of squares since 10=5*2.
    At this stage your requirement is that 1001 (corrected) divides 100a+10b+c and that the quotient is a square: Since all the prime factors of 1001 have a multiplicity of 1.

The rest of your argument follows, and works for a 3-digit number.

I don't have a full answer for the question, so can't help further. You may need a different line of attack for a general number.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    abcabc = 1001 * [100a+10b+c]=n^2
    And 1001 factorises as 7,11,13.

At this stage your requirement is that 1001 (corrected) divides 100a+10b+c and that the quotient is a square: Since all the prime factors of 1001 have a multiplicity of 1.

The rest of your argument follows, and works for a 3-digit number.

I don't have a full answer for the question, so can't help further. You may need a different line of attack for a general number.
    ah i must have made a slight arithmetic error there,

thank you for you for your comments btw, much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    This is a Cambridge example sheet question, the tag is hardly appropriate...

(Original post by newblood)
    I don't have time to read your working, but the conclusion is incorrect. Very strong hint: n^2\,\big|\,(n-1)^n+1 if n is odd.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.