Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to start at Leeds Uni in September and I'm currently deciding on what accommodation I'm going to apply for. I've narrowed it down to James Baillie and Liberty Dock.
    I definitely want en-suite self-catered and both fit that criteria. I like Liberty Dock because it's just been refurbished so the rooms are spacious and modern, there is an on site gym and bar and it's close to the city centre. Just the idea of a little community appeals to me.
    The only downside in my opinion is the distance from the uni and other accommodations. I don't mind the walk, it's more that the majority of students will be quite a distance away and I'll feel a bit left out.
    That's why I'm also considering James Baillie. Apparently it's more social and I like that it's close to other accommodations
    If anyone could give me any advice I'd be really grateful, I'm a bit stuck at the moment. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

Let me fill you in a few facts which will make this decision easier for you. Liberty dock whilst having the name "liberty" in its name is anything further from the truth. When I visited last year they informed us that the accommodation was well serviced by public transport. This was a disingenuous statement, in fact there are no buses on a Sunday and from friends who live there the last bus in the evening to town is around 9 or something. This leaves you with having to fork out for taxis if you wish to go out.

Furthermore I mentioned liberty as it is ironic. The draconian security guard suffers from a power complex of some kind and will do everything in his power to stop you having fun. If you stay here expect pres to be broken up early and music to be turned off. I have heard numerous complaints from course mates who have had bad experiences with this man. Also if you want to have guests staying over and maybe being allowed to park their cars in the accommodation ( there's plenty of spaces) forget it. A £5 fee will be asked for. I realise it is a private accommodation company who run the place and that profit is the name of the game but it smacks of impersonality . This detracts from the supposed "community" feel.

In summary James Baille would be the better option. It is a 10 minute walk to Uni and the buses run every day and much more often. But more importantly you have a greater degree of "liberty". Hope this has helped

ReputationRep:
    According to metro planner there are buses on a sunday from liberty dock to headingley (this past the uni and the majority of other student accomodations) + on nights out ive been on from liberty dock we've always got a taxi with amber cars its 3 quid within a mile journey so its never too expensive.
    When visiting ive never had any issues with security guards but all experiences are going to be different - you might have a different experience/relationship with the guards as a visitor compared to living there.
    A benefit from living at liberty dock would be being able to walk back through the market - pick up a few bargains but you are quite distance from top end of town, probably about a 35 min walk to uni.
    Depends how keen you are to be surrounded by other accommodations but all accommodations you could travel to with out any hassle for pre drinks etc just not necessarily walk to.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 10, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.