Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

difference between transgender and Paraphilic infantilism (big baby syndrome)? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Firstly let me say she is a beauty damn!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCZCok_u37w

Okay i found this nice thought provoking debate on a TED video i thought i should bring it here for further opinions and debate.

question raised on the comments section by whactya2

"A forty year old male thought he was nine. He swore he was a nine year old in the body of a forty year old. So the law decided to classify him as a juvenile. He enrolled in elementary school. Hopefully, some family will adopt this child.

When does mind become responsible for adapting to reality?"

Myself being open minded when it comes to matters of freedom of identity, found it a fair comparison. letting aside any presumption that an adult fantasising on being an adolescent has nothing to do with paedophilia, What's the difference between granting an adult a child's identity and a man a woman's identity or vise versa?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 360kal)
    x
    In a very cursory way:

Gender is socially constructed, there's no reason it cannot be fluid. By looking at history and other cultures, we observe third genders and gender fluidity/choice. Binary gender that is assigned at birth is a cultural thing.

Age, on the other hand, is an objective marker of the number of years someone has been alive. The law recognizes that juveniles have less mental capacity/experience and so holds them (generally) less accountable for their actions/expects less of them.

There's a difference between a delusional belief not founded in reality, and wanting to live your life as a different gender, when gender doesn't pick out anything objective.

ReputationRep:
    Also, 'paraphilic infantalism' generally refers to a sexual fetish... So what you're describing doesn't really sound like that.

'Infantalism' or 'psychosexual infantalism' [if you want to use Freudian terminology, which I really wouldn't do] would be more appropriate for what you're describing.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.