Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Is the book wrong ? - To do with Hydrogen bonding and polymers Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was going over some stuff in chem and came across this.

http://i.imgur.com/ocpvlHs.png?1?4201

I understand that its solubility will decrease if the number of OH group decreases but after that it says if there are too many more covalent H-bonding will occur (TURE) but then it says it will become insoluble ? How do ? more OH groups mean more H-bonding with water so if anything it becomes 100% soluble right ?

ReputationRep:
    That book has confused me now :curious:
    How can something become insoluble in water if it's creating loads of H bonds WITH water... AHHH :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    If there are so many -OH groups it's creating too many hydrogen bonds with itself, so the intermolecular forces between the polymer chains are too high to be broken apart by the water.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-GiuR)
    I was going over some stuff in chem and came across this.

http://i.imgur.com/ocpvlHs.png?1?4201

I understand that its solubility will decrease if the number of OH group decreases but after that it says if there are too many more covalent H-bonding will occur (TURE) but then it says it will become insoluble ? How do ? more OH groups mean more H-bonding with water so if anything it becomes 100% soluble right ?
    Yep thats correct. The book isn't wrong

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.