Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Basically, I have been friends with my guy best friend for around 8-9 years now, we went to primary and secondary school together but any to different colleges.

Anyway, turns out we have both firmed the same university. When applying for accommodation, you can put in a request to share with a specific person, he asked me if I wanted him to add my name or not?

What are people's views on this? At first I was hesitant e.g making own friends, but surely what can knowing one person out of 8-12 in a flat do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So long as you both still get out there and meet new people (and you can do that whether you share or not) it won't make a difference. However if you don't share, that's 22 new people you can meet easily between you, whereas if you share it will only be 10.

ReputationRep:
    It might help you septal in on the other had living with him you may find out a few thins that you don't want to about him you may even end up hating him but I dunno I have seen both things happen it's luck of the draw

ReputationRep:
    I would warn against it.

If you live in a different flat you'll get to make twice as many friends

ReputationRep:
    I can pretty much guarantee you won't be best friends (maybe even friends) by the end of uni.

I would suggest to him that you don't want things to go that way, so perhaps different halls would be a good idea - you can still see each other a lot, but living with someone is completely different. I've seen the best of friends (who vowed they would still be great friends afterwards) ruin their friendships over living together

ReputationRep:
    Think about what your new housemates would feel if they turned up and found there were two best mates in their flat. Suddenly you two are part of a gang that they're not part of. No-one wants to feel like an outsider where they live.

ReputationRep:
    I've gone from good friends to best friends with someone from home while being AT university.

My friend and I chose different halls, but end up seeing each other all the time now anyway. Luckily and by pure coincidence, my good buddy in my block is also best home-friends with someone in her group, so our two "groups" see each other all the time anyway.

I don't think different halls is necessary, especially if theres a big distance between the halls. I'm about a 5 minute walk from my room to her room, even though we're in different halls. So I think keeping a close distance is good so you can see each other easily. If you live in different halls further apart I can guarantee you won't really see each other as much. It'll become too much of an effort and when you live closer it's so easy to have quick half-hour-long hangs and chats. If you live further apart, your friends won't be motivated to go over and visit with you so much and you'll have to make specific days and time to meet. Living closer (either in the same hall or a hall which is literally neighbouring) will allow for spontaneous pop-ins and allow you to keep up contact.

So I'm sort of giving slightly different advice to some others. I agree with the whole don't live in the same flat because you'll annoy each other and probably annoy the others in your flat too. Spread your own wings and make some good close friends in your flat without him, then you two can mingle your flats together. But I disagree with straying too far from him if you wish to keep your relationship going at university for the above reasons.

In a nutshell, get your own flat/friends and settle yourself independently, but keep him close by.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.