Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So last year I skipped a few topics which allowed me to spend more time concentrating on the other topics, I believe this allowed me to achieve a higher grade than I would have otherwise.

However it is different this year because my teacher says that all the topics are now inter-related, for example the topic miracles could be in the same question as nature of God (eg. Does miracles prove the existence of a benevolent God?). If my calculations are correct (assuming one question = one topic), then we can safely skip 2 topics out of the 6, in the worst case scenario we will be forced to do the 2 questions/topics we revised or, in the best case scenario, we will have 4 questions/topics to choose from?

So my question is anyone else thinking of skipping out a few topics? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisleung4245)
    So last year I skipped a few topics which allowed me to spend more time concentrating on the other topics, I believe this allowed me to achieve a higher grade than I would have otherwise.

However it is different this year because my teacher says that all the topics are now inter-related, for example the topic miracles could be in the same question as nature of God (eg. Does miracles prove the existence of a benevolent God?). If my calculations are correct (assuming one question = one topic), then we can safely skip 2 topics out of the 6, in the worst case scenario we will be forced to do the 2 questions/topics we revised or, in the best case scenario, we will have 4 questions/topics to choose from?

I've been thinking exactly the same thing, because I REALLY hate the religious language topic and am really tempted to skip it. Not sure about skipping any more than one though... I skipped the ontological argument stuff last year too because that was just urgh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmmia)
    I've been thinking exactly the same thing, because I REALLY hate the religious language topic and am really tempted to skip it. Not sure about skipping any more than one though... I skipped the ontological argument stuff last year too because that was just urgh.
    Have you talked to your teacher about this? Also what did you get last year in RS? I find skipping one topic out really helped me, i was getting a D in the mock the week before and ended up with 98% Philosophy and A overall (messed up ethics)

ReputationRep:
    Have you talked to your teacher about this? Also what did you get last year in RS? I find skipping one topic out really helped me, i was getting a D in the mock the week before and ended up with 98% Philosophy and A overall (messed up ethics)
    Yeah she discussed it with us and she said it's not a great idea to skip any but if we have to, just skip one. Yeah strangely I found ethics weird last year too. I got 100% in the Philosophy and like 79% or something in Ethics which was weird because I'd revised Ethics so much more but oh well

ReputationRep:
    Yeah she discussed it with us and she said it's not a great idea to skip any but if we have to, just skip one. Yeah strangely I found ethics weird last year too. I got 100% in the Philosophy and like 79% or something in Ethics which was weird because I'd revised Ethics so much more but oh well
    Wow haha well done on your philosophy, I am retaking Ethics AS this year and am just going to take a big gamble and revise like half the topics. Also not sure which topic I would skip out for philosophy A2 since apparently miracles, religious experiences and revelations are all one big topic.. you skipping one topic from ethics A2 as well?

ReputationRep:
    Wow haha well done on your philosophy, I am retaking Ethics AS this year and am just going to take a big gamble and revise like half the topics. Also not sure which topic I would skip out for philosophy A2 since apparently miracles, religious experiences and revelations are all one big topic.. you skipping one topic from ethics A2 as well?
    Haha thank you. Well I suppose you have an advantage by knowing what came up last year, making it probable that those topics (hopefully) wont come up again... Like Kant. I suppose as long as you know the theories they're all easily applied to the ethical dilemmas. Hmm yeah it'd probably be a bad idea to skip any of those out, it just depends what you feel weakest with.

ReputationRep:
    Haha thank you. Well I suppose you have an advantage by knowing what came up last year, making it probable that those topics (hopefully) wont come up again... Like Kant. I suppose as long as you know the theories they're all easily applied to the ethical dilemmas. Hmm yeah it'd probably be a bad idea to skip any of those out, it just depends what you feel weakest with.
    Yeah thanks for the advice which Ethics topic you thinking of skipping?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thanks for the advice which Ethics topic you thinking of skipping?
    If I had to, probably Meta-Ethics, but only because our teacher didn't really go through it that well and I don't want to waste too much time having to revise it in that much depth... What about you?

ReputationRep:
    If I had to, probably Meta-Ethics, but only because our teacher didn't really go through it that well and I don't want to waste too much time having to revise it in that much depth... What about you?
    I am thinking of skipping out sexual ethics and conscience.. but I am not sure if i should? Do you know if there are certain topics that are certain to come up? (for example an applied topic like sexual ethics?)

ReputationRep:

Just out of interests what topics did you skip last year for philosophy and ethics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I have the same dilemma. Last year I skipped all of science and religion and only just skimmed all the applied ethics. I got 100% UMS on both philosophy and ethics though and think it was down to focusing on just a few topics. Luckily my philosophy teacher predicted all the questions right. I don't think we're going to be so lucky this year. The topics do overlap.

I haven't even covered the Attributes of God yet- do you guys think this one is super important?? I actually prefer religious language and meta-ethics because they are very precise. I don't like Life after Death though ... too vague and 'wishy-washy' for me to get to grips with.

Also, do you guys have any specific revision methods for this subject? I am fed up of making notes.

In terms of ethics essays it seems best to just vomit as many facts as possible on the paper, you just have to know it really well. I previously worried more about argument and I don't think it matters too much, just be as specific as possible. That's why I think Meta-Ethics might be a useful one to learn- there is so much overlap with philosophy that you kill two birds with on stone.

Wow... sorry for the long reply. Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RemusSnupin)
    Hey guys, I have the same dilemma. Last year I skipped all of science and religion and only just skimmed all the applied ethics. I got 100% UMS on both philosophy and ethics though and think it was down to focusing on just a few topics. Luckily my philosophy teacher predicted all the questions right. I don't think we're going to be so lucky this year. The topics do overlap.

I haven't even covered the Attributes of God yet- do you guys think this one is super important?? I actually prefer religious language and meta-ethics because they are very precise. I don't like Life after Death though ... too vague and 'wishy-washy' for me to get to grips with.

Also, do you guys have any specific revision methods for this subject? I am fed up of making notes.

In terms of ethics essays it seems best to just vomit as many facts as possible on the paper, you just have to know it really well. I previously worried more about argument and I don't think it matters too much, just be as specific as possible. That's why I think Meta-Ethics might be a useful one to learn- there is so much overlap with philosophy that you kill two birds with on stone.

Wow... sorry for the long reply. Thanks guys
    Could you give examples on how they overlap? because I am trying to figure out which topics I could skip? Also could you give me some tips on AS ethics because I got like 76% last time (skipped out war and peace) and I am doing a retake this year. What do you mean that arguments aren't too important but I should concentrate on the facts? Do you mean I should concentrate on the theories and not so much on the applied?

I personally think that nature of God topic in A2 is nothing new that we haven't learned in AS, you just need to know the basics so that you can talk about why miracles makes God malevolent or how God's omniscience contradicts with our FW.

I revise philosophy by reading over my textbook and making notes, then I read over these revision guides called 'My revision notes' which are quite helpful to get all the ideas 'organised' in your head. Then I just condense my notes and force the ideas into my head I guess.

PS. just out of interest how many hours are you revising a day over easter on average?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjslions)
    Just out of interests what topics did you skip last year for philosophy and ethics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't remember precisely but I believe I skipped out the 'science and religion' at philosophy and 'war and peace' at ethics

ReputationRep:
    Could you give examples on how they overlap? because I am trying to figure out which topics I could skip? Also could you give me some tips on AS ethics because I got like 76% last time (skipped out war and peace) and I am doing a retake this year. What do you mean that arguments aren't too important but I should concentrate on the facts? Do you mean I should concentrate on the theories and not so much on the applied?

I personally think that nature of God topic in A2 is nothing new that we haven't learned in AS, you just need to know the basics so that you can talk about why miracles makes God malevolent or how God's omniscience contradicts with our FW.

I revise philosophy by reading over my textbook and making notes, then I read over these revision guides called 'My revision notes' which are quite helpful to get all the ideas 'organised' in your head. Then I just condense my notes and force the ideas into my head I guess.

PS. just out of interest how many hours are you revising a day over easter on average?
    In terms of overlap, meta-ethics and RL have all the same background (like the logical positivists/Vienna circle etc) also you could easily get lots of marks in both for knowing G.E.Moore's perscriptivism really well. The technical vocabulary that would get you lots of AO1 marks is pretty much the same. AO2 marks are easily conquered by similar criticisms for both topics, for example the mistake of reification and the naturalistic fallacy apply to ethical naturalism and the cognitive theories of RL.
    Miracles and religious experience have lots of overlap; you can learn Hume well and use him (and the problem of induction) to get A02 marks on virtually any essay on the topics. Maybe learn the gamblers fallacy, some quotes from Hume and a few counter arguments and you're pretty much set for AO2 on both topics.

For AS ethics you just need to try and remember as much as possible, I think people lose marks by assuming they can be vaguer than they should (because the subject is generally less specific that philosophy anyway). Also if you have the OCR textbook for AS Ethics, I would recommend finding something else to supplement you. The textbook lacks detail ... I find it pretty useless if I'm honest. If you hunt around on the internet you'll probably find something better. The sight http://www.rsrevision.com/Alevel/ethics/theories.htm is fabulous. The OCR mark scheme really values detail; it's good vocab and concise explanations that get the marks. Maybe just spend a little longer revising ethics??

Sorry, I was a bit vague. What I mean is that in philosophy I have to focus more on the quality of my own argument- like how well I have answered the question. In ethics this doesn't seem to matter as much- just a REALLY thorough knowledge of numerous scholars. The exemplar essays I have seen seem to confirm this. Hence why I think you can get away with being a bit more general in Philosophy, but have to be very specific in Ethics to get the top marks.

Hope that helps

Oh and I don't really stick to a revision plan. I probably get about an hour and a bit done everyday among all my procrastination. However I do make sure I revise everyday.

ReputationRep:
    So did any of you guys end up skipping topics in the end? And how did you find the exams?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    So did any of you guys end up skipping topics in the end? And how did you find the exams?
    Philosophy: skipped Miracles, Religious Experience (revised revelations), and I think 2 more... Was pushed for time, only had 4 days to revise everything. Only 1 out of 4 topics I revised came up. I was gutted. Defo failed the Philo paper.

Ethics: I skipped, Environmental and Business Ethics, Sexual Ethics and I covered a little on Virtuous Ethics.

The Conscience and Free-Will/Determinism questions were a God send!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Philosophy: skipped Miracles, Religious Experience (revised revelations), and I think 2 more... Was pushed for time, only had 4 days to revise everything. Only 1 out of 4 topics I revised came up. I was gutted. Defo failed the Philo paper.

Ethics: I skipped, Environmental and Business Ethics, Sexual Ethics and I covered a little on Virtuous Ethics.

The Conscience and Free-Will/Determinism questions were a God send!
    Urgh tell me about it, the philosophy paper was a nightmare! Which questions did you answer on it?
    You're right though, the ethics paper was SO much nicer. I literally only revised those two topics for that exam so I was really, really happy that they came up.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Urgh tell me about it, the philosophy paper was a nightmare! Which questions did you answer on it?
    You're right though, the ethics paper was SO much nicer. I literally only revised those two topics for that exam so I was really, really happy that they came up.

What were the questions?... I actually remember... I answered the one that asked to explain Dualism and Monism I think it was... Which I wrote about 5 pages, so hopefully I did good on that question, which I think I actually did!

The other one I did was the "numinous experience" question. I wrote crap about that. Didn't revise Religious Experience that much. So I had to work with what I had; I mentioned Revelations: "Revelations is more useful in proving God's existence than numinous because revelations does this and that." "It is also useful because it requires faith to believe in, whereas numinous does not". Basically those were my main 2 points that I had to STRETCH over 3 pages!!! Went awful. Pooing Results Day!

Which questions did you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    What were the questions?... I actually remember... I answered the one that asked to explain Dualism and Monism I think it was... Which I wrote about 5 pages, so hopefully I did good on that question, which I think I actually did!

The other one I did was the "numinous experience" question. I wrote crap about that. Didn't revise Religious Experience that much. So I had to work with what I had; I mentioned Revelations: "Revelations is more useful in proving God's existence than numinous because revelations does this and that." "It is also useful because it requires faith to believe in, whereas numinous does not". Basically those were my main 2 points that I had to STRETCH over 3 pages!!! Went awful. Pooing Results Day!

Which questions did you do?
    I answered the exact same questions as you did, that Hick/Plato one was horrific for me because I find Plato so easy but Hick so bizarre, then ended up wishing I'd picked the miracles one halfway through...

For me I think the other went slightly better, but still, urgh. Yeah same here in regards to results day! What are you predicted then?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I answered the exact same questions as you did, that Hick/Plato one was horrific for me because I find Plato so easy but Hick so bizarre, then ended up wishing I'd picked the miracles one halfway through...

For me I think the other went slightly better, but still, urgh. Yeah same here in regards to results day! What are you predicted then?

Hick was sooo complicated, I just ended up regurgitating what I revised and remembered and just tried to link that to the question and compare it with Plato. I hope the grade boundaries are terribly low!

My philo teacher predicted me C, but my Ethics teacher wanted to predict me a B. I'm predicted a C because I got full marks on Philo paper last year and got a U on Ethics (didn't revise) and I ended up with a C. They said, because they have never seen results so off-balanced and due to personal circumstances, they wanted to go with the safer option to pick a C, rather than a B due to what was happening at the time.

How about you?

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.