Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I recently got a conditional offer of AAA for the course 'Modern History and Economics' at St Andrews. I just wanted to know how serious the university is about it's applicants actually achieving this grade, will they definitely withdraw the offer if I don't achieve the AAA, what will happen if I get AAB or even ABB! It would be great if someone who had experienced something similar give me some advices as I am very worry about not getting into this university. Thanks

P.S I have no idea how competitive my course is but I know an American had gotten an unconditional offer already (might suggest an uncompetitive course?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisleung4245)
    I recently got a conditional offer of AAA for the course 'Modern History and Economics' at St Andrews. I just wanted to know how serious the university is about it's applicants actually achieving this grade, will they definitely withdraw the offer if I don't achieve the AAA, what will happen if I get AAB or even ABB! It would be great if someone who had experienced something similar give me some advices as I am very worry about not getting into this university. Thanks

P.S I have no idea how competitive my course is but I know an American had gotten an unconditional offer already (might suggest an uncompetitive course?)
    43% receive offers, so it's a reasonably competitive course that probably won't go into clearing and may only accept those who meet their offers. Just try to make the grades, this should be an incentive to work harder.

ReputationRep:

I imagine it depends on how close you were to the offer. I missed my offer (AAA including German and history) by 1 UMS, but was still accepted, and I've heard of at least one other person having a similar experience. Fortunately I found out that I had got in before collecting my results

ReputationRep:

It depends on certain circumstances. If you go to a state school but miss your offer by one grade they might be leniant. Other times, maybe not so much. Economics and modern history are both VERY competitve courses, and Americans always get uncontionals based on SATs/APs.

ReputationRep:
    I am enrolled in the IB program, and I am considering studying International Relations in 2015. I would be applying as a international student from within the european union.
    I have concerns that my courses won't match their entry requirements.

For example, the ones I am the most worried about are Spanish AB and Math Studies.
    Though I speak 2 languages fluently (English excluded), and studied German for 4 years straight, my current school was not able to offer any of these, so hence, Spanish AB was the only option I had.

In terms of points I could 'easily' reach the 36-38 scale needed, and my Personal Statement is filled with unique experiences from travels and cities I have resided in, so hopefully at least that won't be a problem.

Do you think they can "oversee" my choice of courses?
    Or are they strictly requiring Math and Spanish SL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threecrowns)
    I am enrolled in the IB program, and I am considering studying International Relations in 2015. I would be applying as a international student from within the european union.
    I have concerns that my courses won't match their entry requirements.

For example, the ones I am the most worried about are Spanish AB and Math Studies.
    Though I speak 2 languages fluently (English excluded), and studied German for 4 years straight, my current school was not able to offer any of these, so hence, Spanish AB was the only option I had.

In terms of points I could 'easily' reach the 36-38 scale needed, and my Personal Statement is filled with unique experiences from travels and cities I have resided in, so hopefully at least that won't be a problem.

Do you think they can "oversee" my choice of courses?
    Or are they strictly requiring Math and Spanish SL?
    I do IR and I did IB. Ab initio will not affect your chances and neither will maths studies. I did French B and Maths Studies

ReputationRep:

I wouldn't read too much into the fact that a US student got an unconditional offer; they don't sit exams at the end of high school and so wouldn't be made a conditional offer.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.