Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Lifting noob gets strong Watch

ReputationRep:
    Decided to start a new thread that hopefully won't be filled with nonsense like my other one (which was my fault). Hope other members on here watch my thread as I'll be posting videos and looking for advice

Current stats :
    Height: 6"1
    Weight : 11 stone (ish)

Max lifts:
    Squats: 65kg (3x5)
    Deadlift: 95kg (1x5)
    Bench: 50kg (3x5)
    OHP: 30kg (5x5)

Not sure how accurate these are tbh, have been doing bro splits with dumbbells since January.

I've been lifting since November but only started eating in a caloric surplus since February.

My routine will be a slightly modified version of Ice Cream Fitness (5x5) tailored to help me hopefully overcome injuries. First session tomorrow.

Ps. I'll be bulking through summer >>>
    Aesthetic for summer 2015 crew checking in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Das it mane
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I'm in

Good luck mate

ReputationRep:
    Although I think I might be in the same situation as TehForum; as much as I'd like to have people critique my form I don't want anyone in my school to see them and tell people I've been posting on TSR hahaha

Inb4 TSR is for nerds
    not srs
    I'll probs post vids anyway so u can all see my aesthetic physique

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reps4Jesus)
    Decided to start a new thread that hopefully won't be filled with nonsense like my other one (which was my fault). Hope other members on here watch my thread as I'll be posting videos and looking for advice

Current stats :
    Height: 6"1
    Weight : 11 stone (ish)

Max lifts:
    Squats: 65kg (3x5)
    Deadlift: 95kg (1x5)
    Bench: 50kg (3x5)
    OHP: 30kg (5x5)

Not sure how accurate these are tbh, have been doing bro splits with dumbbells since January.

I've been lifting since November but only started eating in a caloric surplus since February.

My routine will be a slightly modified version of Ice Cream Fitness (5x5) tailored to help me hopefully overcome injuries. First session tomorrow.

Ps. I'll be bulking through summer >>>
    Aesthetic for summer 2015 crew checking in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good Progress Bra keep it up.
    Same here started January good progress but i started heavier at 13st after being in denial at 6th form to "bulk".

Bench: 80Kg 2 Reps Max
    Squat: 90kg 4 reps Max( started 4 weeks ago practising form)
    Deadlift: 80kg 6 reps Max ( started 4 weeks ago practising form)
    Over Head Press: 55kg 4 Reps Max
    EZ bar curls 30kg 8-12 Reps
    Pullups 6-10 Reps Each set

Cutting After Exams Crew checking in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAddict)
    Same here started January good progress but i started heavier at 13st after being in denial at 6th form to "bulk".

That's strong man! I'm sure your deadlift will rise rapidly when you get the form right. Keep it up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    If you're that desperate to hide your face, angle the camera so we can't see your face.

Or go Omar Isuf and do your work in a costume/ mask, power ranger etc

Also your blog name is awful similar to Motorbikers lol

How tall are you? Cause by the time exams are coming around, with those stats unless you are noticeably fat then keep bulking. Slow and steady bulk ftw.

ReputationRep:
    That's strong man! I'm sure your deadlift will rise rapidly when you get the form right. Keep it up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you likewise. Form is really important and lately i have been focused more on hypertrophy training than strength because i gained quite a bit of muscle. I am going for that aesthetic look for summer cutting to around 70-73kg. Right now around 80kg mark with 15% bf at 5ft 10.5 what about you bra?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    If you're that desperate to hide your face, angle the camera so we can't see your face.

Or go Omar Isuf and do your work in a costume/ mask, power ranger etc
    Hahahahaha good idea.

Could wear my Obi Wan Kenobi cape

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I don't look fat but i am quite insecure so i'd rather cut because i been bulked from 87kg to 80kg for the past 5 months...
    I think you got your the weights the wrong way round man

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Angry cucumber;47177028]

Also your blog name is awful similar to Motorbikers lol

Aw ****, didn't even realise that. Have been following his thread for a good while now as well. Must have read the words 'noob gets strong' so many times from clicking on his thread that it got stuck in my head :/ ah well, it's what's inside the thread that matters

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you likewise. Form is really important and lately i have been focused more on hypertrophy training than strength because i gained quite a bit of muscle. I am going for that aesthetic look for summer cutting to around 70-73kg. Right now around 80kg mark with 15% bf at 5ft 10.5 what about you bra?
    I'm not really sure what my aim is just now. Same as everyone probably, muscle and strength gains

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im just going to angle my vids accordingly

Everyone wanted vids because it was a tasty dl 1rm

Im doing it again tomorrow so ill get face less vids up

Although I think I might be in the same situation as TehForum; as much as I'd like to have people critique my form I don't want anyone in my school to see them and tell people I've been posting on TSR hahaha

Inb4 TSR is for nerds
    not srs
    I'll probs post vids anyway so u can all see my aesthetic physique

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

dat bench to deadlift ratio
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    lol

I'll be horrified when I get back to DLing.... I'm not sure whether I'd be able to pull more than I bench atm :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)

I am scared to **** up my back approaching real cautious because i can easily pull of 110kg i know it because i tried it.
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    In to watch.

Permabulking crew checking in.

ReputationRep:
    I am scared to **** up my back approaching real cautious because i can easily pull of 110kg i know it because i tried it.
    Go hard or go home

Your back is strong

Unless you're an idiot trying to pull 200kg with an arched upper back you're not going to injure yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Go hard or go home

Your back is strong

Unless you're an idiot trying to pull 200kg with an arched upper back you're not going to injure yourself
    Fair enough i will push my self

ReputationRep:
    Was doing deadlifts today (well, yesterday) and I normally do around 6/7 sets of 110kg for 10 reps. Started doing my first set and a friend of mine who works at the gym told me that I could easily have done more reps/weight. Told him I was a bit worried about doing my back in as I do get pretty sore after a big back sesh. He told me that it was fine as long as I kept the same form as I had been doing and he showed me a nifty stretching exercise to do with a foam roll after each, or every few, set(s). So instead today I did:

8x60kg (warmup)
    10x90kg
    10x110kg
    10x110kg
    9x125kg
    9x125kg
    8x125kg
    9x110kg

Major increase from what I normally do and it was fine because my form was good and I stretched well, so my back doesn't feel it much at all.

Just whatever you do, don't arch your back forward, cos that will hurt like ****.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.