The Student Room Group

Girls or boys? Who pays?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scott.

Nobody(decent) with money's going to go with a girl who's poor just because she's good looking, when there are plenty of women who have money, who are good looking.

Paying bills isn't a big priority.

The surprising thing is though, plenty do. Hence the phrase 'trophy wife'.
Original post by joker12345

To me that's another form of prostitution, albeit long term and with one partner. Can of worms and all that though.
Reply 62

But I was thinking more along the lines of a rich, good looking man. A celebrity for example.
Original post by elpistolero7
To me that's another form of prostitution, albeit long term and with one partner. Can of worms and all that though.

Pretty much what I was saying in my other post about allowing yourself to be bought. I just don't understand why guys go along with this though and pay for everything for a girl!
Reply 64
I personally find this attitude to be backdated and sexist - this is an example of where sexism exists against men, IMO. Why on earth should a guy pay just because of his gender? And as a girl expecting to be paid for, don't you feel you're diminishing your value as a person by simply allowing yourself to be bought?
I think it's nice to be treated but it goes both ways - my boyfriend treats me sometimes, I treat him and sometimes we split. I've surprised him with a stay in a hotel room, he surprised me with a birthday holiday. We don't count it but it's pretty equal.
I'd only want/expect him to pay if say, I was still a student and he was earning.

There is quite a difference between a holiday and a hotel room though, just saying personally, I still think (with the example you've given) he contributes more.
Reply 65
And as a girl expecting to be paid for, don't you feel you're diminishing your value as a person by simply allowing yourself to be bought?

I definitely agree with this point.

I think its disrespectful to the girl to presume that you can solicit affection with money. I would see girls expecting to be paid for as them expecting a bribe. And if financial considerations have anything to do with someone wanting to be with me, I wouldn't want to be with them.
I believe in equality in all regards... and that includes the woman paying her way too... I would see the expectation of the guy to pay as rather insulting.
I don't see how a real relationship can work if you are essentially paying for someone's company
Pretty much what I was saying in my other post about allowing yourself to be bought. I just don't understand why guys go along with this though and pay for everything for a girl!

Pick any/all of:

1. Outdated concepts of chivalry among both men and women.

2. Outdated societal norm that men should pay. I mean do you even feminism bro? :tongue:

3. Insecurity/trying to buy affection.

With regards to trophy wives, well that's pretty self explanatory. Repugnant stuff IMO.
Reply 68

I think it's cute, I remember watching an interview with JayZ and he spoke about the fact that he hates letting Beyonce pay for things and although people think it's such an outdated thing to do, it's a mans job. I simply agree, I think it's the mans job, sorry to sound so old fashioned, but then again I don't agree with a lot of the things that are happening in today's society.
Reply 69
You see it all the times in clubs.

Tramps going up to drunk guys and clearly just trying to get drinks out of him.

I think it gets past an age when it stops being innocent tbh.
Original post by Top Queen
I think it's cute, I remember watching an interview with JayZ and he spoke about the fact that he hates letting Beyonce pay for things and although people think it's such an outdated thing to do, it's a mans job. I simply agree, I think it's the mans job, sorry to sound so old fashioned, but then again I don't agree with a lot of the things that are happening in today's society.

So as a woman, you don't want to see male-female equality and a move away from traditional, constraining gender roles?

Okay, then. :lolwut: .
Reply 71

What would you say a woman's job is then?
Reply 72
Original post by elpistolero7
So as a woman, you don't want to see male-female equality and a move away from traditional, constraining gender roles?

Okay, then. :lolwut: .

I really don't think that gender roles are that bad. Honestly.
Original post by Scott.
You see it all the times in clubs.

Tramps going up to drunk guys and clearly just trying to get drinks out of him.

I think it gets past an age when it stops being innocent tbh.

you got 3 types of people tbh

desperate betas, skanky girls, normal people.

The skanky girls can go off with the desperate betas and I won't care at all, not even angry about stuff like that happening, just shaking my head at the desperation of the betas wasting all their money on a silly skank. I'll stick with the normal people and not spend a penny on any skanky girl while having a good time.
Reply 74
Original post by Dnator
What would you say a woman's job is then?

My job is to enjoy life LOL, at least that what my boyfriend tells me

Do you even feminism?

Yes. That's because feminists in the past fought for the freedom that you have today. You mention you have a job and was studying; you wouldn't even have that choice if women in the past didn't protest the gender roles that existed back then. Gender roles that you're now reinforcing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77

Why don't you pay for everything for you and him? Is it because it would cost money?
Reply 78
My job is to enjoy life LOL, at least that what my boyfriend tells me

Sounds wonderful. I still don't really understand the notion of having separate money as a committed couple. Me 'paying' for my girlfriends dinner is a moot point when we share our money in all other aspects.
Reply 79
Original post by Scott.
Why don't you pay for everything for you and him? Is it because it would cost money?

Money isn't an issue for me, we both come from very wealthy families, his wealthier than mine but I don't see cost as important.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending