The Iraqi looters should have been shot last year Watch

This discussion is closed.
hattori
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
The Iraqi looters should have been shot last year. I think the coalition should have done it to bring about law and order faster. By doing so there would be alot less trouble.

What we've seen throughout the year and especially recently is a direct result of people thinking they can do whatever they want.

The occupation could have ended by now. You need law and order before you have democracy so Iraq could already of had a democratic government.

Anyways....theres something to think over.
Apollo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hattori)
The Iraqi looters should have been shot last year. I think the coalition should have done it to bring about law and order faster. By doing so there would be alot less trouble.

What we've seen throughout the year and especially recently is a direct result of people thinking they can do whatever they want.

The occupation could have ended by now. You need law and order before you have democracy so Iraq could already of had a democratic government.

not every looter has turned into a rebel, some needed the stuff to survive. Should they have been shot too?
hattori
Rep:
?
(Original post by PadFoot90)
not every looter has turned into a rebel, some needed the stuff to survive. Should they have been shot too?
Not every looter needed to be shot but the troops needed to look like they could control people. I think if this happened in Britain or America the police or military would have done alot more to bring about order.
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Not every looter needed to be shot but the troops needed to look like they could control people. I think if this happened in Britain or America the police or military would have done alot more to bring about order.
yeah but shooting them? How about a jail sentence?
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Alot of the looters were just hungry people who had been forced into crime as there was no ligitimate way of earning money and buying food. All of this ofcourse was not their fault in anyway and as individuals were powerless to stop the situation they found themseleves in from developing.

Are you suggesting that we should murder these people without trail and considering thier individual situation? What for stealing? In what ****ing way is that fair?

I think a naieve ******** like you is much more deserving of being shot.
hattori
Rep:
?
(Original post by iiikewldude)
Alot of the looters were just hungry people who had been forced into crime as there was no ligitimate way of earning money and buying food. All of this ofcourse was not their fault in anyway and as individuals were powerless to stop the situation they found themseleves in from developing.

Are you suggesting that we should murder these people without trail and considering thier individual situation? What for stealing? In what ****ing way is that fair?

Well it's fair because it stops things from going on and on and on like has. It's been a whole year without order.

What about the legitimate people who decided they wanted to get back to normal and have been prevented from doing so by lawless bands. How is it fair that they can't get on and earn money for their families?

What about the looting of banks, houses, shops, schools, and hospitals, there weren't many doing it for food.

People don't loot for food, there was food before the war and there was food after the war. Anyway you don't steal food if there isn't any available. If there is food available its given by the troops or you can buy it. They were just looting because they could get away with it.
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by iiikewldude)

this is exaclty why i dont like debating...
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No, I think you've got your concepts mixed up.

Legitimate law enforcement can only stem from democratic government.

Do it the other way round and it's called fascism.
Mr Brightside
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Right so we'll just mass execute people who are stealing from shops? Go and take a running race with yourself mate, when would a western country ever do something like that? What you are suggesting sounds like something from Franco's Spain , Hitlers Germany or Mussolini's Italy. Calm down.
hattori
Rep:
?
(Original post by Woodsy)
Right so we'll just mass execute people who are stealing from shops? Go and take a running race with yourself mate, when would a western country ever do something like that? What you are suggesting sounds like something from Franco's Spain , Hitlers Germany or Mussolini's Italy. Calm down.
It's not just stealing from shops. Firstly, there were much more important services like police stations, schools, and hospitals involved. They also damaged the buildings even parts were taken from power stations. What about the musuems that were ransacked- 5000 years of history wiped out.

Most importantly just sitting back and letting looting happen gave the impression that its ok just to react. I didn't say mass execute, i meant show them that they aren't in a society where complete lawlessness goes unpunished. The reports are saying that hundreds of civilians are dead because of the latest fighting, maybe that could have been prevented.

It's got nothing to do with facism..no one is trying to stay in power and prevent democracy. It's actually a way of getting society to a point where they can move towards democracy. Law and order is a prerequisite for democracy. How can you have democracy and sensible stable governments without order? How can anyone even vote in chaos?
pkonline
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The Iraqi looters should have been shot last year.
Could you point a gun at someone, a fellow Iraqi for example, and shoot them just for looting?!
hattori
Rep:
?
(Original post by pkonline)
Could you point a gun at someone, a fellow Iraqi for example, and shoot them just for looting?!
Why is everyone saying JUST looting!!!

I wouldn't be too suprised if someone shot me if I was invovled in widespread looting. It's not like a riot after a football match, its a complete breakdown of the country. Something has to be done when things get that bad.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Why is everyone saying JUST looting!!!

I wouldn't be too suprised if someone shot me if I was invovled in widespread looting. It's not like a riot after a football match, its a complete breakdown of the country. Something has to be done when things get that bad.
i broadly agree, shooting a couple of looters early on would have shown the Iraqis that law and order would be established. they should have also got Sadr months ago, unfortunately the coalition was trying to keep the moral high ground with the Western media and the human rights brigade. still better late than never...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (17)
47.22%
No (10)
27.78%
I'm not old enough (9)
25%

Watched Threads