The Student Room Group

How bad are energy drinks for you, really?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ForgetMe
I don't know about anyone else but Red Bull gave me some energy boost :tongue: I've tried to work without energy drink and I was walking zombie moaning about everything and feeling very tired :mmm: With energy drink, at least till late afternoon I am full of energy :h:

Dat Placebo Effect doe.
Reply 21
Original post by hihoho
Dat Placebo Effect doe.

Or maybe its got something to do with the fact its full of sugar>glucose>ATP>energy and has a high caffeine concentration which is a stimulant. I don't understand why people would think its a placebo effect, if you get drunk and snort cocaine are the effects just placebo?
Reply 22
Original post by lmorgan95
Or maybe its got something to do with the fact its full of sugar>glucose>ATP>energy and has a high caffeine concentration which is a stimulant. I don't understand why people would think its a placebo effect, if you get drunk and snort cocaine are the effects just placebo?

So you're saying that eating chocolate or cheesecake would have,
the same effect?

Bru, please.
Reply 23
Original post by hihoho
So you're saying that eating chocolate or cheesecake would have,
the same effect?

Bru, please.

No I didn't say that lol, although yes, eating sugary foods obviously gives your body a glucose boost- its the caffeine that gives the significant effects.
Are you saying that you think any foods or drinks containing sugar don't really give people energy boosts and instead are all high on a placebo effect?
Because then it would come back to as whether youre aware where the body gets its energy source from.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
No I didn't say that lol, although yes, eating sugary foods obviously gives your body a glucose boost- its the caffeine that gives the significant effects.
Are you saying that you think any foods or drinks containing sugar don't really give people energy boosts and instead are all high on a placebo effect?
Because then it would come back to as whether youre aware where the body gets its energy source from.

It is what you implied, sweetheart,
.. sure, I am not denying sugar is a potential energy source,
.. but, I am saying it wouldn't make as much difference as it is exaggerated here, it's rather psychological.

Same with cigarettes really,
have the same effect, its consumers tend to think it makes you focus better.
Reply 25
Original post by hihoho
It is what you implied, sweetheart,
.. sure, I am not denying sugar is a potential energy source,
.. but, I am saying it wouldn't make as much difference as it is exaggerated here, it's rather psychological.

Same with cigarettes really,
have the same effect, its consumers tend to think it makes you focus better.

No, it isn't. I am guessing you have never depleted your energy stores from intense exertion? You can certainly feel the difference when you take on glucose.
Reply 26
Original post by Dnator
No, it isn't. I am guessing you have never depleted your energy stores from intense exertion? You can certainly feel the difference when you take on glucose.

That's just like... your opinion.
Reply 27
Original post by hihoho
That's just like... your opinion.

I am not sure you understand the difference between opinion and fact. As someone as already pointed out to you, glucose turns out to be fairly important in glycolysis. If your body is somehow devoid of the normal feedback systems that make you feel good when you have glucose and bad when you don't , I suggest you seek medical advice.
Reply 28
Original post by Dnator
I am not sure you understand the difference between opinion and fact. As someone as already pointed out to you, glucose turns out to be fairly important in glycolysis. If your body is somehow devoid of the normal feedback systems that make you feel good when you have glucose and bad when you don't , I suggest you seek medical advice.

You are suffering from God Complex,
.. to think that everything you state is a fact.

Thought experiment,
.. provide someone who has been drinking energy drinks often with an energy drink, and a caffeinated chocolate containing the same amount of sugar.

Which ones do you suggest will the person drinking/eating be more influenced by? Of course, it's the energy drink.
Because he has conditioned himself to think that way.
You don't understand the power of thought, sweetheart,
.. which is why you are confused.
Reply 29
Original post by hihoho
You are suffering from God Complex,
.. to think that everything you state is a fact.

Thought experiment,
.. provide someone who has been drinking energy drinks often with an energy drink, and a caffeinated chocolate containing the same amount of sugar.

Which ones do you suggest will the person drinking/eating be more influenced by? Of course, it's the energy drink.
Because he has conditioned himself to think that way.
You don't understand the power of thought, sweetheart,
.. which is why you are confused.

Obviously you have heard of the placebo effect, I am not arguing against that - I was saying that your likening of a cigarette to glucose consumption was incorrect. There is a physiological basis for feeling good after taking on glucose, so I don't understand why you are claiming otherwise. I don't really understand why you insist on using ellipses and calling people sweetheart, I can only assume English isn't your first language.
Reply 30
Original post by Dnator
Obviously you have heard of the placebo effect, I am not arguing against that - I was saying that your likening of a cigarette to glucose consumption was incorrect. There is a physiological basis for feeling good after taking on glucose, so I don't understand why you are claiming otherwise. I don't really understand why you insist on using ellipses and calling people sweetheart, I can only assume English isn't your first language.

Listen, sweetheart,
.. your opinion has been noted.
.. there is a physiological and psychological basis.
Why do you refute the other just because it doesn't suit your opinion.
Cigarettes and Energy Drinks have the same effect,
psychologically speaking, and..
cigarettes obviously have physiological effects too.
They can be compared since they yield the same outcome.
Focus, is more complex then your limited imagination is trying to portray,
it is derived by many factors..

Here we go, start the personal attacking,
.. because your opinion doesn't have much substance.
Reply 31
Original post by hihoho
Listen, sweetheart,
.. your opinion has been noted.
.. there is a physiological and psychological basis.
Why do you refute the other just because it doesn't suit your opinion.
Cigarettes and Energy Drinks have the same effect,
psychologically speaking, and..
cigarettes obviously have physiological effects too.
They can be compared since they yield the same outcome.
Focus, is more complex then your limited imagination is trying to portray,
it is derived by many factors..

Here we go, start the personal attacking,
.. because your opinion doesn't have much substance.

Being condescending to portray the idea you're correct doesn't actually make you correct though.
Reply 32
Being condescending to portray the idea you're correct doesn't actually make you correct though.

https://abagond.wordpress.com/2010/07/24/the-tone-argument/
Reply 33
Original post by Add!ction
How much sleep do you get?

About 6-7 hours but even if I had over 9 hours of sleep, sometimes I would feel out of energy.

Quick Reply

Latest