Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone please recommend a decent laptop, as I would like to take it into lectures and University

Mainly looking for something that's light so I can carry it around with no problem, not interested in high prices. It will only be used for low level programming and University reports and general University work.

Quiet low prices...

And a decent keyboard, I'm fussy about keys...

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If price is an issue, as is for most of us, I bought an advent Tacto. Was dubious because of the brand but...
    Great spec for uni work. Touch screen - added bonus . 11.6" and lightweight, so it's portable.
    The keyboard is very easy to use.
    Runs windows 8 with a decent processor 500gb HD... and pretty good screen resolution for the price - hate to say but it beats the ipad 4.
    Two downsides (Got to have some!)...
    battery life - Up to 4 hours... the charger is small enough to stick in your bag though.
    The volume is pretty low too, but its designed to be personal and portable, so use earphones or a bluetooth or speaker-
    It's around £260-280 at the mo.
    The next one down in terms of price is a chromebook. A mate picked one up - slightly faster processor, longer battery life, but only works online and cannot use Office and only uses googleplay apps... prefer the extra £70!
    Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am in this situation.
    I had 2 options.

HP 14 chromebook (cheap)

All Microsoft surface (a tablet too)

I the end I'm going for Microsoft surface pro.
    I'd go for chrome if I were you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys, just wanting something small and nifty, i like the look of the chromebook, but can i download my own programs on it so i can do some software programming on it?
    thanks RyMc i'll have a look at the advent tacto, sounds ideal for me! thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrpeteratkinson)
    thanks guys, just wanting something small and nifty, i like the look of the chromebook, but can i download my own programs on it so i can do some software programming on it?
    I would avoid it, better to get a laptop, PCworld are doing an offer for an Asus, ultrabook with an i5 for about 350. Otherwise wait till about June/July

ReputationRep:
    You won't be able to natively program on it, but you could use a web IDE or heck even edit your documents in the cloud.

If you want to try a Chromebook out, and you have Chrome on a desktop (Might be W-8 only but I don't *think* so), click the menu button and click "Launch chrome in Windows 8 mode" or whatever it says, that's pretty much ChromeOS in a nutshell.

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone please recommend a decent laptop, as I would like to take it into lectures and University

Mainly looking for something that's light so I can carry it around with no problem, not interested in high prices. It will only be used for low level programming and University reports and general University work.

Quiet low prices...

And a decent keyboard, I'm fussy about keys...

Thanks
    I would either get a full blown laptop, or a desktop pc and a netbook (assuming you don't have a desktop already).

I have a desktop and a netbook. I would never be able to solely use a netbook as they are infuriatingly small, makes working really difficult.

I got an acer aspire i3 with 4gb ram (ultrabook) for like 320 2 years ago, and it does the job for things like statistical analysis on my course as well as the general stuff.

Your best bet if you're just after a main portable PC is probably an apple laptop, they seem to be worth the investment - though I don't have one myself.

ReputationRep:
    Since you want to carry your laptop around battery life is probably an important factor. The Asus T100 is a beast in this aspect. With a Bay Trail processor it is no where near as slow as a netbook. Though the downside is you do need to get a micro SD card if you want to store a bit more stuff.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.