Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Online dating, need help. I'm hopless. Watch

I just started online dating.

I recently sent a few messages out and I got one replay from this girl I really like the look of, she actually seems genuinely cool.

Anyway for privacy sake I won't say what she said, but she said "sorry it took me so long to write back" and finished off with "good to hear from you". She din't say anything like "message me back".

My first message I sent her was just a general, you seem really interesting and what your favourite blah, blah, blah, etc, etc. And she replied with a pretty cool answer, but no questions.

Should I message her back or was she just being courteous? Any advice on what to say next and keep the conversation going? I am really sorry for over analysing this.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    why you no ask me questions?

pls respond

ReputationRep:
    "I love you"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antipathy)
    "I love you"
    Yup, do a Ted Mosby

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pirategyal)
    Yup, do a Ted Mosby

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hey it worked out in the end!

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Since she doesn't seem that fussed, I'd probably just cut my losses and move onto finding another interesting profile...

Or just straight up (but not aggressively) say "just not that interested then?" to check (but respect her decision and politely stop messaging her if she says yes).

ReputationRep:
    I would continue talking to her for a bit, some girls are shy or want a guy to be "bothered", if thats the case then she's probably testing you or something. Keep talking to her and find something that she's really interested in, turn the conversation that way and reply to her without questions or anything, if she still replies to you after that then continue on.
    Besides it online, have you guys even met face to face like on a video chat or something? You could always just be honest online and tell her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aivicore)
    Since she doesn't seem that fussed, I'd probably just cut my losses and move onto finding another interesting profile...

Or just straight up (but not aggressively) say "just not that interested then?" to check (but respect her decision and politely stop messaging her if she says yes).
    I would find it kind of rude if I replied to someone and wrote a good response and someone said "not that interested then?" It sounds really pushy. I can't see what you could possibly lose by just messaging her back and continuing the conversation. It might take you a whole 30 seconds of your time, and she could be interested, but just didn't have any questions for you. I wouldn't message someone saying "message me back" that would feel weird.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if there's anything in her reply that you also like, comment on that, and talk about related things. Ask more questions.

Some people just aren't very good with conversational etiquette - doesn't necessarily mean she's not interested.

ReputationRep:
    The issue with online dating is that girls want a dancing monkey. If you even waste one message on small talk, they'll lose interest. It's like trying to play chess with an ADHD sufferer on speed. Every single message needs a clear direction and a funny or interesting hook to ensure a reply.

Doesn't matter if you're a buff rugby player chatting to a porker, their expectations are up in the stars. That's why they're single and online.

Always be closing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    well, as she is using a dating site maybe she struggles with communication and making conversation, so maybe you should give her the benefit of the doubt and keep trying to get to know her and maybe after a few more messages she'll open up. ive had loads of guys be like this, personally its a conversation ender and you wonder how someone can constantly be like "me me me".. but some people are just like that or arent aware its poor conversation.

as long as you dont message girls with lame stuff like "how much does a polar bear weigh lolol?"

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2014
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.