Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Upthrust - undergraduate - Confirm answer please Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, could you please confirm my answers and your input will be much appreciated.

A gas filled Zeppelin airship of the 1920’s had a volume of 1.9 x 105 m3. Calculate the upthrust on the Zeppelin due to the surrounding air (air density is 1.20 kgm-3).
    Calculate the weight (not mass!) of hydrogen gas inside the Zeppelin (density 0.090 kg/m3) if 90% of the Zeppelin’s volume was filled with hydrogen.
    From these two calculations, estimate what the weight of the Zeppelin itself would have been , assuming the upthrurst was just enough to keep the airship floating at a level height.
    Later airships were filled with helium gas instead of hydrogen even though helium has a density of 0.18 kg/m3. Why was this done?

1. The upthrust i got was (1.9*10^5) * 1.2 * 9.81 = 2236680N

2. The weight of hydrogen gas i got was 0.9(1.9*10^5) * 0.09 * 9.81 = 150975.9N

3. The weight of the submarine would therefore be 2236680 - 150975.9 = 2085704.1N

4. The reason for the change of hydrogen and helium, i wrote that the submarine will weigh less if helium is used and therefore the submarine will be faster when moving.

Could someone please confirm these results as i do not hold the answer sheet - many thanks!

(Original post by Dontay)
    Hey guys, could you please confirm my answers and your input will be much appreciated.

A gas filled Zeppelin airship of the 1920’s had a volume of 1.9 x 105 m3. Calculate the upthrust on the Zeppelin due to the surrounding air (air density is 1.20 kgm-3).
    Calculate the weight (not mass!) of hydrogen gas inside the Zeppelin (density 0.090 kg/m3) if 90% of the Zeppelin’s volume was filled with hydrogen.
    From these two calculations, estimate what the weight of the Zeppelin itself would have been , assuming the upthrurst was just enough to keep the airship floating at a level height.
    Later airships were filled with helium gas instead of hydrogen even though helium has a density of 0.18 kg/m3. Why was this done?

1. The upthrust i got was (1.9*10^5) * 1.2 * 9.81 = 2236680N

2. The weight of hydrogen gas i got was 0.9(1.9*10^5) * 0.09 * 9.81 = 150975.9N

3. The weight of the submarine would therefore be 2236680 - 150975.9 = 2085704.1N

4. The reason for the change of hydrogen and helium, i wrote that the submarine will weigh less if helium is used and therefore the submarine will be faster when moving.

Could someone please confirm these results as i do not hold the answer sheet - many thanks!
    The maths is ok but you need to read the question.
    It says the Zeppelin was an airship. Not a submarine.
    There was a famous tragedy relating to the Zeppelin in 1937 where one caught fire and exploded, killing many people.
    A quick wiki search will find it.
    It will also tell you the cause and why hydrogen was changed to helium.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.