Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I am coming to Sheffield in september for the year and am trying to decide which accommodations will give me the best experience!
    Most people suggest the university accommodations, but I am also looking into off campus housing.
    My worry for the university accommodations is living with freshers, because they are a few years younger then me and i think it would be beneficial to live with people that have already spent a year or so at Sheffield who could show me around.

Any suggestions? Personal experiences?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ranmoor is nice if you do quite like your sleep, whilst Endliffe is bigger and noisier, but more happens over there. I know they put mature student separately to freshers (usually). I have no idea if they do the same for erasmus/ year abroad students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylyR)
    Hello!
    I am coming to Sheffield in september for the year and am trying to decide which accommodations will give me the best experience!
    Most people suggest the university accommodations, but I am also looking into off campus housing.
    My worry for the university accommodations is living with freshers, because they are a few years younger then me and i think it would be beneficial to live with people that have already spent a year or so at Sheffield who could show me around.

thanks

Hey! I am in the exact same boat as you! I'm coming to Sheffield in September from Canada too and I've been worrying about the same thing! I am just a bit concerned about living with people who are a few years younger than me as well but looking into off campus housing seems a bit overwhelming! Definitely have a lot to consider in the next few months!

ReputationRep:
    I met an australian (on the bus, not knowing where Endcliffe was) and he was on Endcliffe - I seem to think he said most of the people in his block were all people there for a single term on a similar exchange to him.

I'd recommend the university accommodation versus private housing because it's just so much nicer, and you're in the midst of everything going on then. It's much more first-year focused - as in, they expect people need directions to places, or all the big events are well advertised there. You lose out on information once you move out to private areas, which isn't a problem because by this point you typically know where things are, what's your favourite place etc.

Meeting people through the societies is a very good way to meet 2nd/3rd/4th years who can share their experiences. I'd really recommend any society socially or for sport as you'll also get to meet people doing different courses, which I always thought was nice.

Maybe ring the accommodation services and speak to them about where they would expect to place you - postgraduates are probably an option as well, but it's also likely that many of them may not have been at Sheffield for their undergraduate.

Figuring things out together, if you're all new to the place, is part of the experience anyway so don't worry if you do get placed with people who don't have much experience with Sheffield. Just make sure you get up and give things a try!

Fresher's are a mixed bag anyway. You'll find some quite nice mature ones knocking around, and then the usual ones who can't quite control themselves away from home
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylyR)
    Hello!

thanks
    Hi,

Some of our university accommodation is reserved solely for postgraduates and mature students, which may be an option for you if you're wanting to live with people closer to you own age. I would recommend contacting our Accommodation Office on [email protected] .uk to ask about how to go about this.

Our propertywithUS service helps and advises students looking for private accommodation. They have a good list of rooms in houseshares as well as whole houses on their books, so if you're leaning towards private accommodation, it might be worth getting in touch with them to discuss your options. Their email address is [email protected].

You can also find rooms to rent in shared houses on sites like Gumtree Sheffield and Accommodation for Students - if you like the look of any of these, I would suggest asking to Skype the current residents in advance to see if you think you would get along and enjoy living together. As you're probably not familiar with the different student areas in Sheffield, I've also included a run down of the most popular ones below - hopefully you'll find it useful!

Finally, as Nymthae says above, joining societies is the best way to do to meet like-minded people and make friends. There's always going to be a mix of ages and backgrounds, so you're bound to meet some students to make friends with and who'll be able to help you navigate the city. (To give you a taster of Sheffield, we have a Pinterest board dedicated to all the cool things you can do in the city, as recommended by students. You can also check out our Activities video, to give you an idea of some of the societies you could join).

I hope you've found this (insanely long) message helpful, and if you;ve got any more questions, feel free to send them my way!

Best wishes,

Georgie, Student Communications Team at the University of Sheffield

---

Broomhill - a great student area about 20 minutes walk away from the main university campus (or you can take the 120 bus - all bus fairs for students are a standard £1 in Sheffield, regardless of how long the journey is). There's everything you need here, including two supermarkets, several independent shops, a butchers, a greengrocer, a couple of hairdressers, plenty of cafes and restaurants and a couple of really nice pubs. It's en route to Endcliffe and Ranmoor, so it's a very popular area for students.

Crookesmoor - very close to the University (as close as a 10 minute walk to some buildings, depending on where you live). A good range of shops located on the main street of Barber Road, close to the Goodwin Sports Centre (which is the University owned sports centre, comprising of leisure facilities, a gym, a swimming pool and the Matrix bouldering wall) and close to three nice green spaces - Crookes Valley park, Western Park and the Ponderosa. You'd also be close to the amazing Beanies greengrocer and health food shop, which many students consider to be a massive plus.

Crookes - slightly further away than Crookesmoor, but not much, this is probably the most popular student area in Sheffield. There is a very good range of shops and amenities on Crookes High Street (very similar to those you have in Broomhill, although Broomhill is only a 10-15 walk away anyway, depending on where you live), as well as the lovely Hercule cafe and chocolate shop and several good pubs and restaurants. It's about a 25 minute walk to the main University campus (again, this depends on where you live) and the Goodwin Sports Centre will usually be on your walk to and from uni. You can also take the 52 bus from outside the University, which runs very regularly (about every 2-3 minutes at busy times).

Walkley - this area tends to be popular with final year/ postgrad students as it is a little further out and the properties tend to be slightly cheaper to rent. It's about 30 minutes walk away from the campus, or you can take the 95 bus (which runs about every ten minutes). It's a lovely residential area, with a local super market and an excellent farm shop and butchers located on the high street (I believe there is also an artisan bakers that has opened recently). There's a couple of large supermarkets a short walk away, or there's also a pretty decent Asda on the high street.

The Groves - technically part of Broomhall, the Groves is a really lovely area located close to the Sheffield Botanical Gardens and about 20 minutes walk from the University campus (there's no bus, but the walk is really flat so you probably wouldn't need one!) It's close to Ecclesall Road, which is a really bustling, vibrant street full of independent shops and restaurants (you can get a bus from here into the city centre really easily too). Less students tend to live down this way (I'm not sure why), but it's a great area to live in if you can find a place.

Hunters Bar - generally more popular with Sheffield Hallam students, but still in reasonable distance of the University of Sheffield. Very close to Eccelsall Road and also Sharrow Road, which is full of interesting little shops, galleries and restaurants. Plenty of student accommodation and excellent transport routes to the city centre. You're also close to the amazing Endcliffe park, through which you can walk through right out in the Peak District National Park.

Nether Edge - probably the furthest area from the University Campus, but it's still a great area - very leafy and green, with some lovely houses. Again you'd be close to Ecclesall Road and the equally lovely Sharrowvale Road, but it would be a bit of a walk to University (probably about 45 minutes) and there isn't a direct bus as far as I know.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.