Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I need help with the above questions please guys! Thanks! =)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta, Δ)
    I need help with the above questions please guys! Thanks! =)
    Integrate by parts.

ReputationRep:
    I don't Think integration by parts will work since you end up vetting the integral of e^xsinx at some point.

If you are familiar with demoivres theorem then that Is one way. I'd be surprised if they gave that question in a normal core paper without external help.

ReputationRep:
    You do it by parts.

Reach your original integral.

Let I = e^x cosx

And solve for I
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BankOfPigs)
    I don't Think integration by parts will work since you end up vetting the integral of e^xsinx at some point.

If you are familiar with demoivres theorem then that Is one way. I'd be surprised if they gave that question in a normal core paper without external help.
    Wolfram Alpha says integration by parts. There's a trick to it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayquaza17)
    Wolfram Alpha says integration by parts. There's a trick to it though.
    I quite like the idea of recurring integrals.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, integration by parts: (Check spoiler after you have done integration by parts 1 time):

Spoiler:
    Show

\int {e^{x}cos(x) dx} = e^{x}cos(x) + \int {e^{x}sin(x) dx}

What do you get when you preform integration by parts on   \int {e^{x}sin(x) dx} ?

Is there anyway to simplify the expression we now have for \int {e^{x}cos(x) dx} ?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BankOfPigs)

This is a standard A level integration by parts question - no need for de Moivre. At some point you get an expression for your original integral in terms of itself, then you just rearrange and solve.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    This is a standard A level integration by parts question
    I'm not sure about other Awarding Bodies but it was removed from the OCR specification over a decade ago. The endorsed textbook includes it as an asterixed question (beyond the scope of the course).

ReputationRep:
    In a way I do wish the boards would state the exam specification simply in terms of a huge list of questions the candidate needs to be able to answer.
    • Study Helper

(Original post by Mr M)
    I'm not sure about other Awarding Bodies but it was removed from the OCR specification over a decade ago. The endorsed textbook includes it as an asterixed question (beyond the scope of the course).
    I await the day when quadratics with imaginary roots are considered beyond the scope of the course.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    I was talking about 'real' A levels - not this silly modular nonsense

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.