Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer from both universities, and I am ridiculously confused between the two.
    Also, have an offer from Southampton but have heard not-so-good things about it.
    Would really appreciate your help.

ReputationRep:
    Have you visited both unis? This is probably the thing that would determine whether you honestly prefer one or the other.

Note: I didn't visit Loughborough or Sheffield for Mech Eng - but I did visit both unis on a general open day.

What made me not apply to Loughborough was that my subject department didn't seem to live up to the standard I felt I wanted at uni compared to the other unis I would later visit. However as a uni it seemed pretty nice.

Really sorry that I cannot comment on the facilities of the Mech Eng department, but hopefully this gives some sort of backdrop that might be useful.

Loughborough

• has a green "park" area
    • campus is based along a 15-20min long road
    • uni accommodation nestled in campus bounds
    • more diverse, cheaper university rooms
    • [finding SU stuff soon]

Sheffield

• is a green city, has a green area in firth court.
    • campus is based on a few blocks between streets
    • has a bypass underneath the main campus road (A57)
    • has more expensive but higher quality uni accommodation in 3 student villages (City, 5mins; Endcliffe/Ranmoor 20-30mins from campus)
    • has a big SU that hold many events and has many officers, restaurants, bars, etc
    • £1 bus fare for students
    • probably has alot more to do than in L'boro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exodecai)
    Have you visited both unis? This is probably the thing that would determine whether you honestly prefer one or the other.

Note: I didn't visit Loughborough or Sheffield for Mech Eng - but I did visit both unis on a general open day.

What made me not apply to Loughborough was that my subject department didn't seem to live up to the standard I felt I wanted at uni compared to the other unis I would later visit. However as a uni it seemed pretty nice.

Really sorry that I cannot comment on the facilities of the Mech Eng department, but hopefully this gives some sort of backdrop that might be useful.

Loughborough

• has a green "park" area
    • campus is based along a 15-20min long road
    • uni accommodation nestled in campus bounds
    • more diverse, cheaper university rooms
    • [finding SU stuff soon]

Sheffield

• is a green city, has a green area in firth court.
    • campus is based on a few blocks between streets
    • has a bypass underneath the main campus road (A57)
    • has more expensive but higher quality uni accommodation in 3 student villages (City, 5mins; Endcliffe/Ranmoor 20-30mins from campus)
    • has a big SU that hold many events and has many officers, restaurants, bars, etc
    • £1 bus fare for students
    • probably has alot more to do than in L'boro
    Thanks mate, appreciate your help.
    Sadly, can't visit Unis because I live in India and making a trip to the UK for Uni open days is next to impossible.
    Would love to hear other opinions.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.